• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Splendor Review

Editor Rating
4 Awards

Nice ALASKAN one week cruise.

Review for Carnival Splendor to Australia & New Zealand
96aggie
10+ Cruises • Age 40s

Family

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin: Balcony
Traveled with children
Mendenhall glacier, Juneau, Alaska
Remote area not far from Ketchikan

Just an FYI before I start. Family of 4 in our cabin and two of us came home with COVID from the cruise. I chose this cruise since we had one canceled because of Covid. Embarkation was slow. We were told to arrive between 1:30-2. It took about 90 minutes to get on. Very crowded inside and masks are required during that process. I am a Gold member with Carnival and have used them more than any cruise line. Sometime around when you pay the remaining balance, Carnival sent out a message that they were replacing Skagway with Icy Strait Point. Well, there is lots to do in Skagway and hardly anything at all in Icy Strait Point. That did not sit well with me. I would have skipped the cruise altogether had I known that early on. It only left 2 big cities to really do things in. We had lots of trouble with the remote control in our room. It was extremely frustrating. My in laws next door called guest services 4 times to fix their TV. NO ONE EVER SHOWED UP!!!! I had a Reuben sandwich years ago on a Carnival ship. I was so looking forward to that. If you look at the deli option online, you will see the best looking Reuben sandwich. I waited 20 minutes for it to open one day. I was the first person to be served that day. She grabbed one that was inside a cooler or something. It may have had 3 slices of corned beef. I should have taken a picture. So much bread overwhelmed the majority of the corned beef. Also, I know cruise lines are suffering with staff shortages. I get it. I felt so sorry for the young lady they had working the deli. No one EVER helped her on any day and was extremely slow at getting things done. I would actually see 2 or 3 people sometimes coming from the back kitchen but never helped. You should have seen the line at times, 15-20 people. The same thing happened at the pizza place. One person did everything. Prepping the dough, taking orders, placing toppings, placing pizzas in the oven, taking them out, cutting and serving. Our AC had a hard time cooling in room 6335. We opened our door and let the 50ish degree air in. The last thing that I was somewhat disappointed in was the cereal selection. I am 47 years old, eat incredibly well for the most part and concentrate on foods that have fiber. At home I eat 3 different, no sugar cereals on a regular basis. Uncle Sam, Fiber One and Post Wheat and Bran. Here are the 6 choices they offer. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes and Froot Loops. I use unsweetened almond milk on a daily basis. If you want almond milk, you need to go to floor 3. They do not carry it on the Lido deck, floor 9.

OK, the good things. Andy, the cruise director, is the best one I have ever seen on any cruise ship (10+ cruises). He is the funniest and most entertaining. He even does a standup routine that I would highly suggest seeing. There were some shows whose theme were the 80's. Music, costumes, etc. All of it was just unbelievable. My 19 and 16 year old kids had the time of their lives on this cruise. Usually they are like leeches hanging around us all the time. This time is was the opposite . They were the shows' biggest fans. Andy knew who they were and even acknowledged them as we were leaving the ship for good. I cannot say enough about how much fun Andy put into this cruise! Thank you Andy for a great cruise. The meals at dining. Overall I would give them a 3.5-4. I don't have a refined palate or anything, but the food is good enough. There were items that were outstanding. The Grand Marnier souffle, the short ribs and baked Alaska on the last night. There was a good selection at breakfast on the lido deck. I found it interesting that bacon did not make the cut for the first morning on the ship. The sit down breakfast (Actually brunch) has good options. There are no more sit down lunches like there used to be. Sorry about going in different directions. I was typing as thoughts came to mind. It's an older ship. Gave fitness and recreation 3 stars bc there aren't too many weights.

Balcony

Cabin inside could use more outlets. Only one in the main area and one high in the bathroom. TAKE YOUR OWN HAIR DRYER! They have one in a drawer that is attached. My wife had to bend down bc it won't go high. It is a small, not much powerful one.

1 Helpful Vote