• Newsletter

unhappy4977
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin:

We chose this cruise as we were supposed to go in 2020. The ship was beautiful! Our cabin and cabin steward were excellent! Some of the main dining room staff were inexperienced and require more training but were very pleasant and accommodating. The weather was unfortunately very windy and some of the tours were delayed or not enjoyable because of that. What turned out to be one of the worst experiences of our lives was when my husband tested positive for COVID on Day 7. We were told that he would be quarantined on the ship for approximately 10 days and I could remain in the cabin as long as I didn't become ill. However, when we returned to our cabin, we received a call from Guest Services advising us that we would have to disembark the ship that afternoon in Kusadasi, Turkey and we would be put up in a hotel for at least 7 days with our rooms and food included. We were told that Royal Caribbean "never abandon their guests" and they would cover all food, hotel and transportation costs until we were able to fly home. That same day my husband and the two other passengers who tested positive were taken to a hospital in Kusadasi on the way to the hotel for another PCR test. We settled into our separate rooms in the hotel, which was what we would consider a 1*, as the AC didn't work and sink taps etc. were failling off not to mention the terrible food! The only nice thing about it was the lobby and pool area! Miraculously, all 3 passengers PCR tests were negative and they were released from quarantine the following day. I was in touch with someone on the ship in Guest Services as my sister was still on board however, he never did get back to me again. We could hardly wait to leave that hotel so we took a taxi to Izmir where there is an airport and were able to get a flight via Istanbul to Rome three days later which is where we were scheduled to fly home from. We have not heard anything back from the cruise line yet as to where to send our receipts for reimbursement. They are also to refund us the 3 days we missed on the ship. Needless to say, we will never sail with Royal Caribbean again!!

6 Helpful Votes