• Newsletter

ladychater
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin:

The Wonder is fabulous - and massive! It was almost a waste to be on such a nice ship as the Mediterranean itinerary was the real star of the vacation - we were hardly on the ship and mostly exhausted (and with sore feet) when we were. On embarkation day we made sure to see as much of the Wonder as we could, as we knew that we'd have little time to explore. We loved it all! The Boardwalk area is so much fun. There are free classic video games in the Playmakers bar, a hot dog stand, a carousel (I'm 50 and I got on - why not?) and just a beautiful atmosphere. The Ultimate Abyss dry slide leaves you there and we journeyed up to Deck 16 twice to take the 10 story ride. It's a gas! We also ziplined over the boardwalk. It's a short zip, but fun, and the view is great.

The shows really were worth staying up for. We saw Tap Factory, a dance show that was fabulous and 365, the ice show. The first number of the ice show seemed like it was going to be cheesy then Ohmygod did it get amazing. There was even an aerialist. Go see it! The Aquashow wasn't nearly as good, but it was entertaining. If you sit under the overhang you can't see the tightrope walker or the divers, so be forewarned. I also attended the pirate parade which is more fun than it has any right to be. I thought it was going to be a silly thing with kids, but it was high energy with music, dancing, and no expense spared on costumes and massive floats. I had a terrific time!

Again, we were off the ship almost all of our waking hours - Royal gives you some really long port stops, which is fantastic for sightseeing. Foodwise, we didn't get to try much. The Main Dining Room wasn't terribly impressive, but the food was good enough and the waitstaff were wonderful. We're vegetarians, so we're used to having few choices, but many of the vegetarian offerings were just weird and ill-conceived. The Solarium, however, was fantastic. It's a buffet, but they seat you and bring you drinks and a wine list, so a very elevated experience. The food was Mediterranean fare; hummus, salads, fish in tomato sauces, felafel balls and more. We adored it and ate there 3 nights. The dessert selection wasn't great, so I ran across the ship to bring back some items from the Windjammer. Speaking of the Windjammer, we ate breakfast there most days and there were plenty of options and the food was good. I never had time for a made-to-order omelet, but the scrambled eggs were tasty and there were lots of fruits and all of the breakfast standards (and some delightful surprises).

Port Reviews

Barcelona

What an amazing city. There's so much to do and such amazing architecture. Be sure to plan a few days to see the city.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

Palma is a beautiful place to walk around and get lost. The town is lovely and not somewhere you'd probably ever travel to as a stand-alone vacation. So, to get to spend a few hours in this splendid town is delightful.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Rome is amazing, but not a place to see on a cruise - it's too large and has too much to see. I'd been there for a week in the past, so it was fun to get to walk all around the city and fill my eyes with it's beauty again, but, honestly, 10 hours in Rome simply isn't enough - just enough to let you know that you need to come back.

14 Helpful Votes