• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Sky Princess Review

Editor Rating

Too many grumbles that prevented this being a longed for holiday

Review for Sky Princess to the Mediterranean
foxy ladies
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin:

My friend and I have taken a few cruises over the last ten years, mainly with P&O and one with Celebrity. As price is one of the main feature's of us choosing a cruise ( we are both pensioner's and not in the same class of cruiser's who seem to have unlimited pension packages, we have to save up for all of our holiday's, one per year), so this time, because P&O have instigated high cost's with this year's cruise's, mainly one week only to the Med where we wanted to go, we decided for the first time to choose Princess cruises. I will skip over the mayhem of checking in at Southampton, due mainly to computor problem's, these things happen. Those medallion apps !! do'nt get me started !!! Being of a certain age, we could'nt get to grips with the technology. Children and grandchildren were involved to try and get everything loaded onto our phones. Even they had problems !! At Southampton, because our apps were incomplete we joined that queue, and were quickly sorted out by staff ( all those headaches and worries for nothing !) and went on board. Cabin fine S308 , near the sun deck, convenient. After that, went slightly downhill. Ok, why do cruise companies assume that when you are on deck reading/sunbathing/talking, that we have to have music/sky screen feature's blaring out so loud that you can't think!! What's wrong with part of the day being quiet !! A great cheer went up one day when the outdoor screen feature broke down for a few minutes, cheer's from the passenger's rang out, that is some indication on how most of us felt. The "entertainment" on board was terrible with a couple of exception's. We ended up going to bed at around 9pm and watching a film in the cabin !! On the P&O cruises, we would study the evening entertainment's, working out how we would manage to try and see all those that interested us, which were many. This cruise entertainment was dire. We were so disappointed. The Rock Opera was good, as was Mike Doyle, comedian, and a ventriloquist. The tribute act of Phil Collins was painful to watch, voice was good, but the guy could tell he was'nt connecting with the audiance's and it was uncomfortable watching. Our next gripe is with the tour's organised by Princess. Very, very overpriced as a whole. In Barcelona, the coach did'nt get near the main attractions and hardly any stops, Sardinia was a very expensive coach ride with 2 stops that went on for hour's and a tour guide we could hardly hear, and was so boring !! The coach/boat trip in Livorno was the worst. The boat part was good and informative, but, when on land ( and when booking, because I have limited mobility, I only chose trips that had a small amount of walking) we had to walk about 3/4 mile down main street's in hot sun, at least ten of us struggling to keep up with the guide, no stopping anywhere, eventually being taken for refreshment's to this back street cafe, where there was a constant stream of passengers from the ship on different timings being taken in, one filthy toilet, and then "refreshments" running out, back on the coach back to the ship. Our compaints were upheld, and we did get a part refund ( onboard credit}. Unfortunately I was in so much pain, that I had to forgoe my trip to Rome the following day. Really, really disappointed in that. I would advise other prospective cruiser's to really check out the in- detail information before booking these trips to avoid my mishaps..Other problem's onboard were in the buffet area. Why is the food spread out as it is??? It does'nt make any sense to have bread/toast in one area then butter etc in another, and why was toast served in cereal dishes with your butter and jam's?? You try spreading the butter in a dipped dish !! A suggestion, to save the passenger's frustrations, at the ends/beginnings of each aisle of food was there not a blackboard listing what was down that particular aisle? There were so many frazzled people with hot food going cold because they could'nt find food to complete their meal? and why no tray's? Very difficult when you're walking with a stick to carry more than one thing. Dining ; we used the included venue's without paying anything extra, on the whole, ok, disappointed hardly any steak's on the menu. and the dessert's were very repetitive. Shocked, really shocked by the price of the wine, $47.00 for a bottle of the cheapest white wine !!! There's profit and profiteering going on here !!! Needless to say, we wo'nt be sailing with Princess again, but, make your own mind up, just do'nt say I did'nt warn you !!!

Small but very clean. Comfortable bed's, very small bathroom/shower, and our balcony door kept sticking closed.

8 Helpful Votes