• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Allure of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
3 Awards

Beautiful ship in need of amplification and more crew

Review for Allure of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean
Cruise Kay
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Family

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin:

I chose this cruise because of the ports--Labadee, Aruba, and Curacao. I have been on the Allure twice before, more than ten years ago. She is a beautiful, very special ship, but most definitely showing her age and in need of an update.

We sailed at high capacity (5000) with 1200 crew. There were not enough crew to keep up with the masses. Some shops never opened, and I have to assume that was a crew shortage. The shops that did open usually had one employee running everything, so if they were busy and you needed help, you had to wait quite a while. There were two employees at Sorrento's most of the time, and they could not keep up. There was always a very long line, and the minute pies were pulled out of the oven, they were gone. Then people would have to wait while the two employees made more pies and put them in the oven and they baked. Starbucks usually had one person running the whole stand, and there was often a long line there, too. Cafe Promenade was understaffed and constantly swamped with customers. Overall, the crew looked tired and strained, and for the first time ever, I saw borderline rude behavior from some staff, as if they wanted us to just go away.

The rooms and hallways were warm. The food was not good. That is the first time ever that I've been on a cruise with food that felt like cafeteria quality food. The internet was awful. The pool deck is worn and pitted, and the cabins need updating, and overall, the ship has the feel of being a bit outdated.

Port Reviews

Aruba

Aruba is a very interesting place--nothing like I thought. (I pictured shiny resorts and brand-new things everywhere.) Most definitely get out and see the 'real' island. See the natural bridge, the lighthouse, the back roads and neighborhoods, the blackened, dusty beaches as well as the really nice ones, like Eagle Beach. I recommend a tour--I used an independent tour guide that drove us around in an open-air, very tall military truck. I recommend that over a bus, as so many things are off-road. But expect to get covered in dust and dirt if you do so. Bring your camera!

3 Helpful Votes