• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Explorer of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
1997 reviews
3 Awards

Worst food and dining experiences ever, along with other service issues.

Review for Explorer of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean
aklenburkall
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin:

We have sailed on 9 different Royal Caribbean ships in the last 7 years. There are always a few issues here and there, most of the time just to be overlooked. But not on this ship on this sailing. Our trip departed from Miami on May 14th, 2022. We were originally scheduled to stop in Bonaire, Curacao, and then Aruba. Without any notification to us, the itinerary was changed a couple weeks before sailing. Bonaire was scratched and Grand Cayman was added. We became aware of this through chat groups and immediately began questioning whether it was true. Up until a week before the departure, Royal Caribbean's own website was still listing shore excursions for Bonaire. They would not allow a change in sailing dates so off we went.

When we boarded, which was at 12:00 noon, we were not greeted with drinks. Instead we were told drinks were available on the pool deck. When we finally ordered our first drinks, they asked for our boarding pass since sea pass cards were not available yet. The sea pass cards were left on our cabin door which we could not get to until after 2:00 pm because they had the halls blocked off because they were still cleaning rooms. We were charged! We understood our welcome aboard drink was complimentary.

The first night we went to the main dining room for dinner. Our seating time was 8:00 pm. We were promptly met by our head waiter who right at that time handed us our menus and indicated he would be back. About 10 minutes later he came back and asked if were were ready to order. I informed him that we would like something to drink first, and that we would appreciate a recommendation, which is customary. He recommended prime rib as the main entree, and again asked if we were ready to order. We placed our order and again informed him we needed drinks. A couple minutes later the assistant waiter came over and introduced himself. We informed him that we each wanted ice water, and between us we also wanted a glass of wine and an iced tea. He came right back with the water picture. Around 8:20 pm our appetizers arrived. The crab cake was dry and plain so barely touched. Escargot was fine. At about 8:30 my iced tea and my my husband's wine arrived. I informed the assistance waiter that iced tea would be my usual each and ever evening. At or about 8:35 pm our prime rib arrived. His was fine but mine was cool to the touch and so tough I could not chew enough to swallow, and the veggies were practically raw. I had asked for medium rare and veggies well cooked. I waived down the head waiter and told him what the problem was. I reordered salmon which came out a few minutes later, cool to the touch and dried up, no veggies at all. After a couple bites I have up on the dead fish and prepared myself for dessert. Desserts came about at about 8:50 pm and were fine.

5 Helpful Votes