• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Splendor Review

Editor Rating
1 Award

Great cruise to a beautiful coast on an enjoyable ship

Review for Carnival Splendor to Alaska
Iowa cruiser
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin:

This was the Carnival Splendor's second Alaska (and first seven-day) itinerary of 2022. The ship was inactive during the pandemic and is great shape now as it returns to service. I have done this itinerary multiple times before -- on RCI, NCL, Celebrity, and once years ago on the Carnival Tropicale. The service on the Splendor lives up to all of them, and the Carnival price is by far the best bargain I found.

Definitely book an outside cabin with window -- half of the pleasure in Alaska is watching the sea and scenery from the warmth and comfort of your cabin. I especially enjoyed cruising the Tracy Fjord, which I had never done before. The only drawback of the Splendor's itinerary is the relatively short stays in Juneau and Ketchikan -- good enough for package tours but a challenge if you like to hike on your own into the backwoods, as I do.

The Splendor deck layout can be a bit confusing, so I suggest you print a deck plan before you leave home. Also be sure to meet any Covid test/vaccine requirements before you leave home -- I tried three different PCR test sites (Tampa Bay and Seattle) and only one came through with a result, just the night before departure. No "official" rapid antigen tests were available near my home, but I heard that Carnival may offer them at a cash price (no insurance) at the dock, as some other cruise lines do.

22 Helpful Votes