• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin: Premium Inside

Repositioning Dubai-Genoa March 2022. I have been on Costa enough to have Diamond Pearl status, and have sailed on many of their ships, including this itinerary in 2018 and 2019. I expected some cut-backs, but this was the worst Costa ship and the worst Costa cruise I have ever been on. Completely ordinary, same-as-everybody-else, nothing about this cruise stood out from the competition. The ship was designed for the Chinese market, huge casino surrounded by expensive shops and restaurants, and not much else. Only 1600 passengers on this trip, I suspect the ship will feel very crowded when full.

Restaurant: I am not a fan of formal fixed dining to start with and with all the hassles such as having to lug a computer around to read the QR code menus, I never ate there.

Buffet: Better than 4-star resorts I have stayed at in Spain. I ate all my meals there. But your card was scanned to enter the buffet. Whether Costa is trying to figure out a way to charge for buffet, or working out the bugs in a Chinese tracking app, I don't know. (As I write this, the Canadian government admitted that it has been secretly tracking its citizens for two years, so the second possibility does not seem far-fetched.)

Premium Inside

Cabin: Standard cabin module, no different from anyone else. No refrigerator/mini-bar, for refrigerated medicine you must request a "cold bag".

TV: The channel selections were very limted until reaching Europe. There was no interactive TV.

Electrical requires card but any card seemed to work. Two Chinese 220v, two US 110v, one Euro 220v (plus two Euro underneath bed for table lamps). Four USB, two bedside, two which seemed to be uninterruptible at desk.

2 Helpful Votes