• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Crown Princess Review

Editor Rating
3 Awards

If Princess corporate thinks this standard is acceptable I'm leaving. Staff- 12 stars, corporate 1

Review for Crown Princess to Alaska
OC SeaPA
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin: Balcony

First, let me say I had a great time. I love cruising, and even a bad cruise is better than no cruise at all! But so many on this cruise that I talked to will not go on Princess again, and certainly not the Crown. And I talked to lots- First-time cruisers, Elite cruisers, ship staff, ship officers.

Officers did admit ship was over capacity (70%), when should have been at 60%. Move-over offers were received 2 days before sailing, so not enough time to make other arrangements. Couldn't get exact figures, but estimate crew was at 60-80% (depending upon who you talked to). Travel problems and vaccine problems prevented some crew from making this cruise. Alot of new staff, who were trying very hard but having difficulties with the systems. But we did have some excellent service from more experienced crew, who gave it 110% and were wonderful, even with all the complaining passengers.

As this was the first post-covid cruise for the Crown I heard that excuse alot from staff, especially senior officers. Yet all 9 senior officers at 2nd M&G were all "return-to-service survivors" from other Princess ships, and did admit that other cruises did not have all the problems this cruise had. I was on the "return=to-service" on the Grand Princess in Sept 2021, and it was one of the best cruises I have ever had, and I've been on over 50. I was told the problems all came up a few days before sailing, but with over 2 years of non-service you would have thought the problems would have been found before return-to-service.

Balcony

Cabin was ok, but old. Did note the lack of amenities in cabin- as Elite we got "upgraded amenities"- a tube of body lotion! Balcony was rusted- a rusted bolt came off the balcony, but luckily nothing else! As noted, we didn't have plumbing problems, but most others on our deck did, so when we walked by the smell was overpowering. You'd think some of this could have been done in the 2 years the Crown was not in service.

10 Helpful Votes