• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Seventyishtraveller
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin: Club Balcony

We chose this cruise because although we had sailed QM2 several times Transatlantic, we had never been on the QE. The dates fit our schedule—sail the QM2 over to Southampton, a week in England and sail the QE back Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. Our leg was the beginning of the QE’s longer leg, she will be sailing over a month, all the way to Alaska. My observations:

Embarkation in Southampton was a nightmare. Although they had specified times for arrival, they were unprepared for hordes of people showing up all at once so that, although we arrived on our specified time, we queued for an hour, waiting for the complimentary COVID test. (Note: after our cruise date, later Cunard cruises require guests to test before they get to Southampton. No testing at Southampton.) We were so tightly packed behind spectator type fencing that I heard someone remark if we didn’t have COVID before we’d have it by the end. We finally reached the testing area and were told to go up to the waiting area and someone would come around and let us know when/if we were clear to board. We had gone through something similar at Fort Lauderdale two weeks earlier for the QM2 , both times we saw people being led away, obviously having had positive results. Unnerving; I should have researched COVID on cruise ships before booking and realized it’s still early to be sailing. On both cruises we heard horror stories of people testing positive (they test once a week, it’s mandatory for all passengers) and being moved out of their cabins, isolated/quarantined. Awful.

After waiting half an hour, getting progressively more nervous, we received our “negative” piece of paper. We then had to run the gauntlet of three separate people checking our form. I had checked in online, made no difference, I still had to go to the check in desk where the employee wasn’t sure how to handle a Canadian passport, wasn’t sure we really were checked in, etc. Then there was Security, every bit as stringent as airport security (I had to throw the water in my bottle out.) Finally on board.

Club Balcony