• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Traveled with children

My only real complaint was the lack of any real activity for the kids. The loft was only open 1 time per day, at 10 pm. My kids were bored because all the other stuff HAL has is more geared to seniors. I love cruising HAL for this, because it tends to be more laid back, but for this cruise it was a giant drawback. As far as entertainment, Carlos was a superstar. The various gameshows and trivia games were great and we had a lot of fun with those.

That said, at some point we had a shore excursion in every port cancel. Most were well before the cruise, which made it easy to adjust, others, however were while we were on the cruise with very little notification, the night before the port call without a chance to book something else.

Otherwise, the crew was amazing! Carlos the new entertainment director was the best I've ever seen and he made the cruise memorable. Deddy, our waiter in the main dining room was fantastic. The crew especially went out of their way with my kids and that was great, especially in light of the nonexistent teen club.

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

We had 2 balconies and an inside cabin. They were nice and our cabin stewards were exceptional! The inside cabin was small, but not unexpected. I actually quite enjoyed it. Only real complaint was as we got into some heavier seas, the rocking of the ship caused a lot of creaking noises in the cabin. When it was calm, it was quiet.

Port Reviews

Glacier Bay

as always phenomenal! This was the reason I booked the cruise. The only complaint was they only did junior ranger for the littler kids and not for the 13-17 year olds.

Icy Strait

We went whale watching and it was simply amazing! We saw about 10 bubble net feeding events, like 4 or 5 bears on the shore and it was just beyond anything I could have ever hoped for on that excursion

Juneau

Mendenhall glacier was fantastic. Unfortunately the Mount Roberts tram was broken down, so we couldn't do that as we had hoped. Also, I know it's cheesy and touristy and expensive, but I always love eating at Tracy's Crab Shack. Usually a place right on the dock is just not good, but this is the one exception.

Ketchikan

We loved the Lumberjack show. Kids had fun and it was entertaining. That said, the port call for our ship was from 7:00 am to 11:30 am and that left little time to do anything else. I would have preferred going to Misty Fjords, but with the short port time, it was impossible.

Victoria

Not the fault of Victoria and it is worth visiting. Unfortunately, we docked at 8:00 pm until midnight, so we didn't even bother getting off the ship.

Sitka

This was the only port we had a decent time slot. The only bad thing with Sitka is the dock is like half an hour from downtown. They have shuttles running all day, which was great, but that did make it a little inconvenient. Otherwise, Sitka is a delightful town and we very much enjoyed it.

3 Helpful Votes