• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Originally we had planned a Princess Cruise to the Canaries in March/April but unfortunately I tested positive for Covid the day before departure. So chose this cruise as one of the few alternatives available to fit into our schedule (not a work schedule but the Grandparent schedule) when we had recovered (although I was asymptomatic). We wish we had not bothered!

We flew to Athens a few days before the cruise to enjoy the history, ambience and food of this busy city... well it would have been bustling except it was Greek Easter so a lot of areas were closed. Not the fault of NCL, but we could have been warned. The taxi we had booked by IGLU, our Cruise Agent, did not materialise at the airport so we paid 40 Euros to get to our hotel... not the fault of NCL. As advised by NCL in the UK as to what was needed to board the Jade we spent the best part of the morning before embarkation to find a reputable clinic to get a pre-boarding Antigen Test done and a certificate. However NCL's information given to us over the 'phone in the UK was wrong. All passengers needed a PCR Test taken within the previous 48 hours to board. So NCL undertook PCR testing for all guests on the quayside and charged $125 per person which they added to their on-board account.

Coming back to the hotel from getting the Antigen Test done I was mugged on the Metro and my wallet, credit/debit cards and money were stolen by a very vicious gang of three. Not the fault of NCL... but ramifications afterwards. I telephone my bank and credit card companies to put a stop on my cards, including the one held by NCL. So as the AMEX card held on account by NCL had a stop put on it I was denied the services I had already paid for e.g. drinks package, dining package as I had no on-board credit... but I argued I had already paid NCL for these. No credit card or cash held by NCL no services already paid for. Managed to raise 450 Euros to put into my on-board account but $250 was immediately taken off to pay for the PCR Test we had not ordered or had been warned about.

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Firstly the whole boat was in pristine condition from the outdoor wooden handrails to the carpets on the stairs. The cabin was no exception. The use of traditional wood made it a tad dark but the bathroom was larger than most cruise ships with a bath and shower. The balcony was more than double the usual size for that grade of stateroom. We had paid to be up-graded to MA before the cruise and then found that as there were only c. 900 passengers on board so most/all the Inerior Cabins and Ocean View Cabins were up-graded so whole decks could be shut off. So we were a well over £1,000 down on the deal to begin with. The TV was pleasantly high definition but no coffee or tea kettle or cups unless requested to your cabin steward. Comfortable bed so no complaints there. Three plugs (two USA and one European) on the small desk area as well as a USB port. All-in-all a very comfortable, well appointed, roomy cabin.

6 Helpful Votes