• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

MSC Virtuosa Review

Editor Rating
1 Award

Great ship but could've been so much better.

Review for MSC Virtuosa to the Baltic Sea
Okraf
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin:

As a first experience of MSC, a 2-day 'booze cruise' in overcast weather isn't going to give you the full experience, particularly as it was too cold to sit on deck, or use the water slides and Himalayan rope bridges. The passengers were almost certainly not the usual demographic - lots of first-timers and umpteen hen nights. But I have to say they made for a terrific atmosphere in the evenings at the parties. Noisy, but well-behaved fun - we loved it.

Virtuosa's interior is spectacular, as any YouTube research will show you, although the 'infinity atrium' is not as infinite as suggested on screen, being much smaller than, say, Princess Atriums. But it's the street or galleria that is the main attraction, with shops and bars on deck 6, and more eateries on 7. The 93-metre LED domed screen is a fantastic feature.

At the opposite end of the galleria is the Virtuosa lounge, which was the actual hub of nightlife on the 2 evenings we were there, spilling out into the street itself, which became a huge dancefloor late into the night. I pity anyone on deck 8 wanting an early night, but a great time was had by all on 6+7!

We upgraded from an inside cabin under the restaurant, to a deluxe balcony at the very back of the ship. It was a million miles from the nearest staircase and a complete maze to find your way to and fro. We won't do that again.

Fresh, modern design spoiled by dark greens and greys that turned the narrowest balcony cabin I've seen into a cave if you didn't have the lights on all the time, even during the day. Also, no net curtain to pull across the window when getting changed - just a thick, dark green one that blacked out the room. This was in addition to the actual curtain, so I didn't see the point. Why not have a curtain and a net?

Bathroom flattered to deceive - funky modern design but small and poky and an impractical sink. Hardly any surface area to put toiletries on. Some people like the 'glass' shower door instead of a curtain but I left it open anyway, as I do with the curtain.

Worst part was the wardrobe - less than half the hanging space you'd get on Princess, P&O, Cunard etc. I really don't know how a couple can fit a week's worth of clothing it, and we pack light! Good job we only had hand luggage for this trip. I don't think we'd do a long trip on this ship because of this.

Bed was firm but comfy, pillows good (soft ish) and linen/towels good.

Remember to shut your bathroom door when you go out, as if you leave it open you'll struggle to get back in your room, as it clashes with the main door.

Our 'deluxe' balcony had a sofa which converts into bunk beds, but because of this it is very chunky and takes up a lot of space in the already narrow room.

1 Helpful Vote