• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review

Editor Rating
10 Awards

Old British Arrogance, Served whether or not You Want It.

Review for Queen Mary 2 (QM2) to Transatlantic
J3nglunb
6-10 Cruises • Age 20s

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin: Balcony, sheltered
The double hot faucet (except one is cold)

This was handily the worst cruise experience of my life. I've cruised since being a child, largely with family and this was no different. Now at 24 I went to Ft. Lauderdale filled with excitement to board my first Cunard - The Queen Mary 2 no less.

Surprise from the onset, not the good kind. Due to increasing cases of COVID-19 on the ship we were being tested at the port. Before we boarded. Don't get it twisted I don't object to safe cruising. I'm happy that Cunard only takes highly vaccinated (boosted) passengers. I was surprised that despite sending out an email that covid was on the ship on April 13th, the email did not notify us that we would be tested THE NEXT DAY. Beyond the surprise we were not greeted by a single Cunard Employee. We were queued into a chaotic mess taking 2 hours to get tested and embarked. A fellow passenger and Cunard loyalist (this her 3rd voyage this year) said it best, "I've seen riots better organized than this.". At the end of testing we got a piece of paper claiming the testing was due to a CDC mandate. The reality is that Cunard has opted into a voluntary monitoring program that the CDC has created. QM2 had more than 3% of its occupants get covid, enhanced monitoring is triggered. This was discovered with a Google search... Cunard would not tell us.

Before we get past testing (that's right we aren't done) I should share that 48 hours into the voyage we were required to test again. We were not informed in the April 13th email, nor the April 14th post testing letter. We found out on a postcard left at our door on April 15th. When my mother asked the Pursurs desk why we were not informed about this they let her know it's just policy, they are saving paper. You can figure that one out. In truth the testing on board was well managed and easy to get through. The lack of communication was unsettling. After I was tested I went to the Pursurs desk to find out how many more times we could expect to be tested on board. I was told there would be no further testing and for our group that embarked in Ft. Lauderdale that turned out to be truthful. We are done with covid testing.

Balcony, sheltered

Port Reviews

Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

Read the review, embarkation was bad.

5 Helpful Votes