• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin:

I was on the Mariner for a spring break cruise 4-19-2022. It was our first cruise since 2019 having cruised 14 times previously on NCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. This was our second cruise from Port Canaveral. We drove to the port and parked there which was extremely easy and cost $85 for the 4 days. I will say one of the benefits of what we learned in COVID is the embarkation process. It was simply the best I’ve ever experienced. We were assigned a boarding time, ours was 2PM. We dropped the bags, parked the car and walked over to the terminal where our COVID tests and vaccine cards were checked and we were allowed to enter the terminal. We were through security in 2 minutes and walked up to checkin where the documents were checked again, our pictures taken and we were on the ship about 20 minutes from parking the car. Another great change is the muster drill. We were prompted by the app to watch the video which outlined the safety procedures. We then were directed to go to our muster station where our sail pass was scanned and we were done. It took all of 5 minutes, awesome.

The ship itself is an older ship but in decent shape for its age but it’s in need of renovation in the rooms. Our room on deck 2 was an outside with a large window. It was a decent size and clean. The furnishings such as the carpet needed replacing with stains on the carpet. There was peeling paint and a broken hinge in the bathroom medicine closet. Everything else was in good order in the cabin. The rest of the ship was fine with the only thing that looked tired was the decking on 12 it was looking old and there were many obvious repairs. The upgrades added in the refurb all were great and integrated well.

The food on the ship was good overall. We bought a package for two speciality restaurants. We ate in Chops and Jamie’s Italian, both were excellent and well worth the package price which was discounted if you bought it before the cruise. We ate the other meals in the MDR. The food was good to very good. The prime rib I had one night was just ok, the short ribs I had the next night were outstanding. It was a bit hit or miss but overall good. The Windjammer buffet was just ok. We ate lunch there and breakfast there one day. It was largely very crowded and chaotic. The choices for breakfast were typical and the line for omelets ridiculous. The lunch choices were just ok, I had a hard time finding something I really wanted some days. The food quality on the buffet was good though but the salad bar I found lacking with minimal choices. One frustrating thing was that the MDR had very limited hours for breakfast and never offered lunch. The two days we managed to get breakfast in the MDR was so much better than the buffet. However you needed to be there before 930. Where this ship is really lacking is in the snack category. The Cafe Promenade is pretty sad and under staffed. The selection is limited with sandwiches and poor looking pizza and some cakes. There’s no free place to get some bar type snacks or even a salad outside the Windjammer. One morning we had an excursion with a meeting time before the restaurants opened and went to Cafe Promenade it was very crowded with only 1 person working he counter, it took a long time. They ran out of breakfast sandwiches, the free coffee was empty and there was a long line for a speciality coffee. They just seemed to need more early morning help. I went to the Starbucks on the ship and it was great but a lot more expensive than on land, there was never a long line.

Port Reviews

Nassau

I really don’t like this port. There’s really not much to do and the shopping is annoying with aggressive vendors. The excursions that are offered aren’t great either.

2 Helpful Votes