• Newsletter

Cabin: Neptune Spa Suite with Verandah
 Neptune Suite tiny balcony
Shower
 Neptune Suite vanity/sinks

The ship is beautiful and service is very good. I give it only three out of five because of the challenges of sailing during the pandemic, and because we were disappointed in the suite. We booked a Neptune Suite because we wanted a larger balcony with chaise lounge chairs and table and chairs, but ended up with a SQ category with tiny balcony (the chairs provided didn't even fit on the balcony and there was no table or chaise lounge chairs). I wanted the larger balcony because I was trying to avoid spending a lot of time around unmasked passengers in common areas. My travel companion wanted the larger balcony so he could work on his laptop.

Food was good, but the lunch menu was same every day, and supper menu didn't change much. Complicating things personally was I suddenly found myself on a low sodium/no alcohol diet just before the cruise. However, dinning room staff went to great lengths to make sure I could stick to my new diet, and I actually lost weight on this cruise.

Because of pandemic, I wanted to dine with social distancing, and that was a challenge on the ship - even though we were at half capacity. When I would ask to be seated away from crowds, they would find me a table off by itself, but half way through the meal, I would fine that I was surrounded by people they subsequently sat all around me. I found it easier on two prior cruises to keep social distancing. If I were traveling alone, it would be easier - as I would have opted to eat at the buffet and grab a table outdoors or on other side of ship where there weren't very many people. My friend who I was traveling with wanted to eat in the dinning room every day.

Neptune Spa Suite with Verandah

We booked a Neptune Suite, looking forward to having a larger balcony with chaise lounge chairs and table and chairs, especially given we are in a pandemic and didn't want to spend a lot of time in common areas with other passengers. However, because we were not allowed to select the specific cabin, we ended up with SQ10005, a Neptune Spa suite on deck 10 above the fitness center and Bridge, configured very different from the other suites. While the cabin was large, the balcony was tiny, perhaps even smaller than a veranda stateroom balcony. The forward facing window in the cabin was nice, but furnishings and decor were very different in this cabin from rest of ship, and the hangers and glasses rattled with the ship's movement. Seas were calm during our cruise, but when we did hit waves, you could definitely feel the motion. I wouldn't want to be in this cabin during rougher days.

When we were assigned the cabin a week or so before departure, we found it difficult to find photos online of the SQ category (staterooms 10005 and 10006) and SC Category (staterooms 11005 & 11006).

The television is behind the sofa - a weird configuration which meant we didn't bother watching it. It could be pulled out from the wall at an angle so you could see it if you were laying on the bed.

This cabin wasn't what we were expecting for a Neptune Suite. We complained and after four days, we were offered two adjoining Vista Suites on deck five, while keeping our Neptune benefits. Perhaps Holland America should change the name of the SC and SQ cabins since they are so different from what is advertised. Basically, there isn't a usable balcony for these SC and SQ categories.

14 Helpful Votes