• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Viking Sea Review

Editor Rating
55 Awards

Viking Oceans Cruises Exceeds Expectations But Has A Few Improvement Opportunities

Review for Viking Sea to the Mediterranean
Chasdeannas
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin: Penthouse Veranda Stateroom

We scheduled our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise in 2018 for April 2020. After cancelation in 2020 and then again in 2021 due to Covid we finally were able to cruise in April of 2022, an exciting event. Preparations for travel to meet Covid requirements were a little stressful, but we successfully navigated the many requirements for the airlines and Viking. We flew into Barcelona Spain to embark on our cruise and this first day could have been an improved experience. After arriving in Barcelona and getting thru the airport and Spains requirements , we finally boarded a Viking bus to travel to the ship. Unexpectedly we were informed that we were being taken to breakfast before heading to the ship. This was OK but we had just been served breakfast on the plane an hour before. After driving around Barcelona for 45 minutes we arrived at the restaurant. They unloaded us off the bus and we stood outside the restaurant for 30 minutes in 40 degree weather without our coats to find out the restaurant did not have a Viking reservation, back on the bus we go. We now drive back over much of the path we had just traveled to eventually pull over at a second restaurant. We unload off the bus and this time successfully enter the restaurant where we are served a nice sandwich and fruit. After finishing this brunch we finally reload on the bus and head to the port and our ship, 3 hours after arriving in Barcelona. This whole process was poorly orchestrated by Viking and is an improvement opportunity.

After arriving at the port terminal, we finally started the embarkation process, the next improvement opportunity. We check in at the counter and I had the following paperwork ready for review as required by Vikings website for the trip. 1) VeriFly completed for boarding the ship. 2) Negative Covid test taken within 24 hours of departure. 3) Printed out Viking boarding passes for our cruise. To my surprise, all of this paperwork which required a lot of time to complete, none of it was even looked at. So I ask why. Viking needs to fix this. So after checking our passports, we are sent to processing station number 1 , Covid testing. After waiting in line for 20 minutes we finally get our Covid test. The testing company jammed the nasal swab all the way up into my and my wife’s sinuses a painful experience. Having traveled extensively during Covid and being tested numerous times, we have never had such a poor testing experience. It was not necessary for the antigen test being performed. Next we were escorted to a waiting area pool of more then a hundred people waiting for their Covid test results and we were lost. The testing company had no idea where anyone was so when results came back they could not find the people, it was chaos. After 40 minutes waiting for a 15 minute test, I started hunting down someone to find out if we were cleared. Finally, a person I checked with said, oh yes you are negative you can move to the next step. Viking please fix this process for future cruisers. The next step of checking in , getting our badges, tracking devices and tour coupons went fine and we were allowed to board the ship. Still no where in the process did they ask for or look at the paperwork they required us to prepare. Viking please fix this.

We boarded the ship, heading to our room, fully masked and now did yet another Covid test, a saliva PCR test. Supposedly this test needed to come back negative and then we could unmask. We never did get any feedback on our results, so we just took off our masks! After being up now for over 24 hours our frame of mind was poor and I was very disappointed in Viking. From here on my comments are mostly positive.

Penthouse Veranda Stateroom

Port Reviews

Barcelona

We really enjoyed this port even though we only toured it for a half of day. The Guida sites we visited were awesome.

Marseille

This port was just so so. Quaint but not much historic stuff left here due to WWII bombing. Beaches that we passed were not very pretty. OK for a short visit bu I would not go here to stay.

Florence (Livorno)

When at our Florence port, we chose to tour Pisa and the leaning tower. We were glad that we did this tour. We were at Pisa for about two hours which is about as long as you need to see everything.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Rome was a busy, long tour day. Our tour was a good sampling of Rome but one could easily spend a whole week here. We were able to tour the Sistine Chapel, St Peters Basilica and St Peter’s Square and the Vatican Museum, all which were impressive. We did drive by tours of the Collesium and Circus Circus and many other sites. Rome was awesome.

Naples

At our Naples port we chose to go to Pompeii on an optional tour and are glad that we did this one. So incredible to see the ruins.

Corfu

Corfu, Greece was one of the friendliest ports we toured. The people were all very nice. I like the small city setting. Perhaps not as many historic sites to see here but we still liked it.

Dubrovnik

This was one of my favorite ports. Great remaining Roman ruins.

Split

I think this was my favorite port. What an impressive walled city, so cool.

15 Helpful Votes