• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Norwegian Getaway Review

Editor Rating
8 Awards

Bermuda is beautiful. Bring a sitter.

Review for Norwegian Getaway to Bermuda
FigsNewton
6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin: Family Balcony Stateroom
Traveled with children

I’ve loved NCL for a while now. This was my 3rd or 4th cruise to Bermuda out of NY on NCL. I’ve also tried RCL for a couple out of Florida and just preferred not to hassle with flights and Covid tests however, I was sadly mistaken. I had a group of five which included 2 kids ages 5 and 12. Firstly, NCL Getaway is much like the other cruise ships they have that’s mid size with 6-7 specialty restaurants, the buffet and 3 separate dining rooms that come with your fare, shops, internet lounge and lots of bars. The specialties still come with cover charge. The entertainment is still stellar and there’s no shortage of activities from arcade to ropes course to water slides. I personally took advantage of the thermal suite pass which gave unlimited access to the spa pool area that housed also a sanarium, a sauna, a salt bath and a steam bath along with ceramic lounge benches but good luck getting one of those as people rarely followed the 10 minute limit signs and lounged for hours on end. The experience though of getting on was really unorganized partly by NCL and Covid regulations with mandatory Covid tests that had to be administered 2 days prior and if not taking on site for $75 each which at least we had warning about. What we didn’t have a lot of warning about was the Bermuda travel authorization process which was a form where you had to upload a copy of your vax card along with negative Covid results within 4 days of reaching the island. Which for us was also two days before getting on. However, most people didn’t get their approval until you were in line getting on which caused great delays (we arrived at the port 9:30 didn’t get on till 2:15). So that part was exhausting especially with a 5 year old. Now for the pièce de Résistance, we learned 5 DAYS yep 5 days prior to the cruise that they would not be offering the kids program in the way we who have cruised with kids before know it. For no reason explained, they would be opening the area called the Splash Academy daily but parents had to attend WITH their children. Now to some I know this would not be frustrating which is altogether fine however if you’re like me I said a few expletives upon opening this email. It hindered from being able to enjoy some of the shows also some areas like the pool and relax times. We enjoyed the destination and going to beach and local shopping but I’ll definitely not be cruising anytime soon till Covid and all the regulations calm down.

Family Balcony Stateroom

Cabin was sized appropriately for a typical balcony. We were located on 13th floor at the forward (portside?).

previous reviewnext review