• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

cruiser6684
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin: Balcony (obstructed views)

My wife and I had not been on a cruise for several years and were just about to schedule one when COVID hit. We chose the Panama Canal trip as we wanted to go places that we had never been before and the canal was an opportunity of a lifetime!

Due to the nature of this cruise there were only 2 port days, on in Limon, Costa Rica and the other in Grand Cayman. Organization for Limon was well done as the country is just starting to let cruises back in, however, we were not permitted to explore the port on our own with an explanation of "it isn't a safe place to explore". For the big day of the trip, the canal itself, there was little to to no communication provided on paper nor on the app they so wanted us all to use. No times to plan, no information at all.On the morning of the canal a gentleman, I suppose from Panama itself, started making announcements by means of the PA system that were unorganized and unscheduled. It seemed like he would think of a little fun fact, share it on the PA and then be off again for a while. No explanation as to what was happening, what was going to happen and what to expect. Haphazardly done. Poor presentation on Carnival's behalf.

I have never been so disappointed in food on a cruise! For the majority of the cruise, we ate in the main dining. Service was fantastic and we were made to feel at home each time we walked in and were greeted by Brenda as she recognized and called us by our first names each time! Appropriate supplies of variosu food items lacked horribly. On cruise day 3 of 8, there was no more ranch dressing, no bananas, no strawberries and several other items I was told. On previous cruises there has always been a more than ample assortment of fruits. I was unable to locate anything close to what we have experienced before. What fruit was avavilable when ordered in the main dining, or in the steakhouse, was not ripe and should not have been served. Lido deck buffets were a disgrace. Long lines and poorly prepared food. I was excited to try the deli until each item tried was not prepared sufficiently. a grilled ham and cheese should really have melted cheese. When asked to toast the sandwich a second time before handing it to use the server/cook argued with us. NOT COOL.

Balcony (obstructed views)