• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

GotDrums
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jun 2010
Cabin: Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

This is our third sailing with RC. First was on the Navigator of the Seas a ok cruise. Second was on the Maiden Voyage 4 day to Labadee Extravaganza on Oasis of the Seas. Great ship lots of bumps on the road here. Substandard cruise director, just ok service though. Great service in Windjammer poor service in dining room. Great ship to be on though lots of freebies thrown in. Now on to review of Adventure of the Seas. Before the cruise stayed at Eurostar Grand Marina. The service here was great but the beds are rock hard. Also very expensive. Cant beat the location though everything including Los Rambles is within walking distance. If you cruise out of Barcelona make sure you take a day before and a day after to check out this great city. The people are great and very friendly and there is lots of stuff to see for free. Take a hop on hop off bus its a great buy.

Embarkation. RC has this down we were on the ship within 1/2 hour great guidance by staff inside terminal lots of great direction. We cruised to Cannes, France, Florence and Pisa and Rome. Lots to do and see in these places. More on that in my port reviews. The ship itself was old but in pretty good shape standard Voyager class ship nicely decorated. The biggest opportunity here for RC in there extremely poor service and staff. Mercedes the cruise director was a very nice lady and very friendly she did everything bilingual since a lot of the crowd was Spanish not much wow with her though just ok. Some people don't like when a cruise director is bilingual but I think its good practice to respect the culture and people of Spain by speaking their language. In my experience the Spanish people are a very nice and family oriented folk. I fell in love with Barcelona because of that so I think its proper to speak both Catalan and Spanish (even though in my experience few people spoke Catalan, when they did they appreciated that I used the language).. Im also a drummer and percussionist with a big love for Latin music where there was plenty served up on this cruise. The band Musiclave was very good.

Stateroom- We had a balcony stateroom and a good stateroom attendant Denis from St Vincent. He was the best thing on our cruise as far as service goes. The furniture on our balcony was awful you could find better chairs at a garage sale. It really was that bad. When I spend extra cash for the balcony I expect the furniture to be at least as nice as what I would put on my own balcony at home.The rest of the stateroom was nice and pretty spacious. The crew here was very disgruntled and I heard very vocal complaints about how poorly they are treated by RC. Not a happy bunch at all. Most said hi if you said hi first. But surely no wow and I think they were saying how because they feared their bosses and management. Surely not the way to get a crew to perform. I heard them gripe about how they had to pay for their uniforms and were only paid 25.00 per week. Not something I really want to hear on vacation.

Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Cabin D2

Overall a nice spacious cabin for two. Lots of space. We had lots of luggage for Europe and it all fit fine. The balcony furniture was awful though did not even want to sit on these chairs. Pretty quiet sound proof cabin. Heard very little noise from neighbors. Great position in ship when you are pulling into port.

Port Reviews

Cannes

Went on the Grasse and St Paul-De-Vence tour. This is a great pick they do a really cool perfume tour of the Galimard. Very neat presentation, tour and some really great deals afterwards on perfume and mens cologne. Then on to St Paul De Vence. If you go to Cannes dont miss this tour. Very neat old medieval city to check out. Nice shopping as well. Also a tip-This tour runs late at 12:30. Be on the first tender out and just walk around Cannes for a couple hours. Thats free and lots of cool stuff to look at such as the Cannes Film Festival and the walk of fame. The Walk of Fame was very cool lots of celebs hand prints etc.. What I really want to know is if Chuck Norris put his hand in wet cement or did he just do a couple of fierce one handed push ups to leave a print?? lol. After walking around for a couple hours take a tender backto the ship, grab a quick lunch (since its not included on the tour) and then go back and be at port by around 12.

Florence (Livorno)

Went on the Exclusive Florence and Pisa tour. Not a lot of time in Pisa but still very cool. in Florence you get to go over the Ponte Vecchio bridge and a little shopping there and then both the Academia and Uffizi galleries. Limited where you can take pics though. I appreciate that because they want to preserve the artwork. No pics of big naked David on the inside you will have to settle with pics of the copy outside. 10 hour tour including drive time but got to see a whole heck of a lot. Plus we only gained around 2 lbs apiece on this cruise because of all the walking. The lunch included was first class with free wine and great food. Watch the wine though the percent here is around 13 very different but yet good from what we have here in the states. Very good bang for the buck.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Went on Rome the Eternal City. Very good bang for your buck got to see the Vatican and St Peters as well as the Sistine Chapel. Weird the dress code inside here was not followed saw all kind of people in shorts etc.. go figure. Also got a tour of the Coliseum and saw the Arch of Constantine. Well worth the money.

Limited to where you can take pictures. No pics allowed in the Sistine Chapel but I respect that we need to preserve this great artwork.

Lunch was included as well as free wine with the meal. It was excellent.

Barcelona

Barcelona is a great city. My recommendation is that you plan a full day before and after your cruise to see all the sites. Lots you can do for free if you don't have the time to go inside the buildings. The architecture was off the hook. Gaudi was a genius. Take a hop on hop off bus to cover all the sites. Done miss Los Rambles and the Boqueria market as well as the old Gothic center. The market is a feast for the eyes and a good and reasonable place to buy some food and snacks at great deals to take back to your hotel. The pickpocket thing is a little overstated I believe from what I have read. We had a kid who we were pretty sure was going to grab my wifes shopping bag. He kept circling us and was trying to get behind my wife. I yelled at him in my very loud dad voice (the kid was about ten) and told him to back the heck up. And he then fled. This was in the redone Industrial Park. We went there to see the modern art and ten lighthouses. It is in the Eixample section of town. This was the only area I felt a little uncomfortable. The town in all is a lot better policed than here in America. The Spanish people are amazing and they have a really unigue and special view of family. Very friendly folks here. Its like it used to be here in the States back in the day. It made me a little sad for us here in America. Samantha Brown had it right though this really is a great town

previous reviewnext review