• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Silver Cloud Expedition Review

Editor Rating

Disappointing on too many levels

Review for Silver Cloud Expedition to Antarctica
mcnurse
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Feb 2022
Cabin:

This was meant to be a once in a lifetime experience but I am going to have to have a "do-over" My cruise was fraught with disappointments. Some were unavoidable such as ice blocking short cuts through passages (totally acceptable and probably expected to a certain degree on an expedition cruise). We even had to turn around early to go through the Drake passage 2 days early out of concern for a scary weather pattern- so we only had 2 days of excursions out of a 12 day cruise.

What led to my extreme disappointment with this cruise was Silversea's handling of covid and lack of communication bordering on lies we received during this trip. There were an undisclosed number of staff members with confirmed covid in quarantine already on the ship as we boarded. These staff members were not quarantined off the ship but on a lower level right next to the cruise passenger's laundry. Silversea never warned us that there would be people in quarantine, not to mention in an area I would have to be going through in order to do laundry. On day 2 of the cruise, an announcement was made that during a routine screening of the crew 10% had tested positive and would be quarantined. We were never told the percentage of crew that were also close contacts that also had to go into quarantine, or how many of those staff members later tested positive but it was much larger than 10%. Suddenly all of the specialty restaurants were closed and all meals were served buffet style. After 7 days of buffet meals, I wanted to pull my hair out. At that point in the cruise, some of the staff were released from their quarantine and we got to have some of the dining options as planned but not all of them. Over the course of our cruise several passengers also tested positive for covid and had to go into quarantine. This included some people just down the hall from me, and those passengers were not moved to another part of the ship. Please note that all of the passengers had to show proof of several negative tests just to be allowed onto the ship (I personally had 4 tests in the 72 hours prior to embarkation), so these passengers were exposed while on the ship.

I and most of my fellow passengers were really angry by the end of the trip. Most that I spoke with would never cruise with Silversea again. Even the expedition crew and service staff were complaining about the quality of cruise experience we had and were apologizing to us on behalf of the company.

Really enjoyed the cabin, if I'd been stuck in a room without a balcony for this trip I would have been miserable.

7 Helpful Votes