• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Freedom of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
28 Awards

Nice ship, fun time, but a lot of issues too

Review for Freedom of the Seas to the Bahamas
NJCruiser78
2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Feb 2022
Cabin: Spacious Ocean View Balcony

We went on Freedom OTS for a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas - my first post-COVID cruise. The public spaces on the ship are beautiful. The dining room, Windjammer, sun decks, etc. are all recently renovated and very visually appealing and clean. I am not sure if it was because of COVID capacity, time of year, or the design of the ship, but there was always lots of space in public spaces. 4/5 of the deck chairs were empty, tables always open in the Windjammer, really no lines for anything, etc. It sometimes even felt like a ghost town - I am almost certain that we were the only guests to go to the helipad at any point during the cruise. Unfortunately, there were also several aspects that were frustrating. First, and most notably, nickel-and-diming runs rampant on Royal nowadays. I spent more money onboard than on the cruise fare, and I did not gamble, eat in premium dining, or drink excessively. I was in a balcony cabin, as well! Additionally, there were some smaller annoyances. The music in the windjammer was constantly what you could describe as "Latin club" music. It was very irritating, especially at 7 in the morning. I also think some of the COVID restrictions, while well-intentioned, end up causing more frustration than they are worth. For instance, having all the food in the Windjammer served by staff, or the unexplained "Groups of 5 or less" rule in the elevators, which I saw lead to several passive aggressive arguments between passengers. The cabin also has very clearly not been changed or renovated since the ship was constructed. This leads to some dated decor and some quirks - like no outlets near the bed. Overall, we had a good time and would sail on Freedom again but would appreciate some changes.

Spacious Ocean View Balcony