• Newsletter

Oceangirl816
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Dec 2021
Cabin:

We choose Majestic Princess as we wanted to do a Mexican cruise for New Year's. We were vaccinated and boosted so were willing to take the risk of Covid to go. Pouring rain when we got to the port but we knew we would be in warm weather within a couple of days. The ship is beautiful!!! Due to walking with a cane, it took me a couple days to walk around but saw most of it. I will share the Pros and Cons I felt worth mentioning below.

Pro: Love the ship!!! Loved the restaurants, regular dining and Crown Grill. No traditional dining, probably due to Covid, but you could either make reservations or just show up. We made reservations for every night before we got on the cruise. I suggest if you are going to do this, start watching to do this about 3 months before! I waited until 1 month before and got 6:40 dining every night and we like to eat at 5. You can still go to buffet to eat but we like eating in the dining room. They allow you to choose whether just a table by yourselves (or group if you are in one) or with others you don't know. We sat the first night with a wonderful elderly couple who were quite enjoyable to talk with. However, my husband felt our party of 4 should stay away from others as much as possible so we ate by ourselves after that. The Casino was nicely laid out and the Atrium could take your breath away with it's staircase!!! But what I liked best (and you will see worst) was the theater. There are no obstructions anywhere to block your view of the stage. Wonderful!!! While they have no dancers at this time (can't remember about singers) there were comedians and magicians and they played movies some nights. Also, love the new Live Show areas on the newer ships. While it is a small room and small audience, if you sit in the chairs outside the room, you can still hear everything they say :) You can't play trivia in the outside chairs but we were sure having fun guessing the answers. Another Pro was outside by the Pool. While it could get crowded, there were plenty of people walking around to get you what you wanted, like drinks or bring you food requested through your medallion. When one of the bars had a bartender doing a fun juggling act with bottles, they showed it on the big screen by the Pool so all could see. Our favorite place, though, was Club Hollywood!!! So peaceful and quiet there. We would go up into one of the alcoves and sit with our books and read and watch the ship sailing through the waters. Had two chairs, a love seat and a table. Nice for the 4 of us. There was a bar there to get drinks at too. We had a balcony room, which was very nice inside and out but your typical balcony room with a minibar; there was a downsize but that is listed on the Con part. Sailing down to Puerto Vallarta was pretty smooth and nice. Stopped at a different pier than before and had a much bigger flea market to go to. But. like most flea markets, most of them were selling all similar things. But some very nice momentos of Mexico for not too much money. They start high and expect you to bargain them down. Sometimes, I just pay what they ask but I know I should bargain. New Year's Eve: The Ship tried to have fun things to do during the day. Ice carving by pool but I went to a enrichment lecture. Love those. After dinner, we went to see the Comedian. He was so funny! After that we went up by the pool, to have drinks and get a good spot for New Year's. It was already packed with people. Most had their masks off because they had drinks in their hands but they were laughing and talking and looking around while they were doing so. My husband had the start of a little cough, so he kept his mask on, except to take a sip of his beer and put his mask back over his mouth. He always gets a cold cruising anymore (for the last 5 years or so) but he choose to not take chances with people around him. The music was good and people were up on the stage dancing and having a good time. But before Midnight, my husband and I went up to Club Hollywood as he liked the music better there. Almost no one else around. Stayed until about 12:30 then went to bed. Slept in the next morning and didn't get up until almost lunch. Ate light as we went to the Crown Grill on New Year's Day. Love the Crown Grill. Always Great!!! We had a great waitress who brought us all the side dishes to go with our entrees and made sure I got a gluten free dessert. (I have Celiac Disease and can only eat gluten free) My husband's cough has gotten worse but he still insisted on going and we asked for a table away from other people.

Cons: I needed a wheelchair to get on board and disembark. Embarkation was very cold and pouring rain and they only had two people pushing wheelchairs and many people needing wheelchairs. Took forever to get one at the port!!! I was told they had 5 people but sent 3 over to the smaller ship in port. WHAT!!! If the other ship is smaller, why didn't they get 2 and we keep 3. Made no sense. Disembarkation, I was not even provided a wheelchair, even though I was assured I would be, and made to get off the ship on my own. Agonizing pain and took over a week to recover at home. Glad I had my cane with me. And we are Elite status too :( Guess status doesn't always matter anymore. On the ship, we were give a FORCED upgrade (without our permission). The room they gave us had a connecting door. You can hear EVERYTHING through a connecting door. We choose our room on purpose because we like the place on the ship and it doesn't have a connecting door! We now have a note in our file with Princess that we refuse to be given an upgrade without our permission in the future. Yes, you can do that. This ship had too many high end shopping stores in my opinion. They act like everyone is rich and we are not. Would like to see a couple less high end and maybe one or two more medium priced stores. We also don't like Anytime Dining. If you are still going to let people sit with strangers, why not have one of the dining rooms still do traditional dining!!! My husband and I really enjoy getting to know a group of people over the course of the cruise time. We have made long lasting friendships through cruises because of our dining experiences. And the last thing we really didn't like was the way they do photos now. I understand they don't want to waste all the paper that they used to but part of the fun of cruising was searching for your photos among all the others (and seeing other people's photos too and the photos of friends you have made on the cruise). Just part of the cost of the Photo Dept. But if you are only going to show people their digital copies now, take 3/4 or the watermarks off the photos PLEASE!!! We could hardly tell if we liked the picture or not because of where the watermarks ended up on the photo :( :(

Port Reviews

Puerto Vallarta

We have always loved Puerto Vallarta but due to losing our Aunt in 2020, who lived here, and Covid, we decided to just go to the flea market that was right near the ship. It was your typical flea market with all the usual momentos but if you haven't been here before, they have some beautiful things to look at. Painted tiles, beautiful blown glass wine glasses, hand sculpted chess sets and many other things. As well as all the usual Mexican clothes. New sayings on T-shirts this time, I noticed. Love that I can shop for things without going to far inland. Looking forward to going back into town when Covid is better under control someday.

Cabo San Lucas

I am reviewing this port from a Quarantined perspective. We weren't allowed out of our room, let alone off the ship. but when you have a balcony room, no problem. We could see the beautiful arch, the beach, the para-sailers, pirate boat (lit up at night and in the daytime) and even a couple of hang glider on motorized vehicles flying into Cabo. Couldn't quite tell where they landed though. My husband even saw a stingray jump out of the water to catch a bug. But the best part were the whales. They were playing around the mouth of the bay area around Cabo. A couple of boats came up really slow and let their passengers watch the whales. Unfortunately, a couple of other boats came racing up and scared the whales away. Some people just don't think!!! You have to come up slow and quiet on wildlife on land or sea and stay a little distance away. Otherwise they bolt and run for fear of being harmed. When we left Cabo the next day, after we left the little bay area where the cruise boats anchor, we headed back towards CA. Shortly after, we saw whales again. A lot of them!!! Two came up from under the ship, right in front of our cabin. So Awesome!!! The ship still was not going very fast so we got to watch them for quite a bit. Heard the captain make an announcement (although the quarantine deck can't hear him talking but with balcony door open you can hear it coming down from above) so I think he was telling people about the whales. Whales, dolphins and otters are my favorite sea creatures and just seeing them can make my whole trip. The weather was perfect for us as we were in the shade. It was 81 outside so rather hot for some with the sun beating on them in Mexico. For us, sitting out on the balcony, watching life play out, it was perfect.

2 Helpful Votes