• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Family

Sail Date: Dec 2021
Cabin:
Penguin on black “sand” beach in active volcano caldera, taken after extended hike on Decepetion Island.

I chose Hurtigruten because I wanted an educational experience of Antarctica that was as authentic as possible. Hurtigruten features history and science lectures and activities, instead of casinos, crowds, and glitzy shows. Hurtigruten’s commitment to social and environmental responsibility was also an important contributing factor to choosing to travel with them. My cabin, even though among the least expensive, featured a huge window, bathrobe, shower shoes, an electric kettle, and full-size toiletries. The food in all of the restaurants was excellent, fresh, well prepared and delightfully presented. All of the staff, from the Captain to cabin stewards, were pleasant, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I felt like I was part of a large family. Hurtigruten went above and beyond to help us navigate varying and changing travel requirements and restrictions because of COVID, while absorbing the extra expense instead of passing it along to the passengers. The schedule of events, even on “sea days,” was lively and varied without any pressure to participate or not in any of them. We received full briefings to prepare us for excursions and activities. Not once did I feel rushed to fully enjoy any shore landing. Expedition team members did an excellent job of preparing landing sites, transferring us between the ship and shore, answering questions , and watching out for us during our on shore adventures. Camping overnight on Antarctica is about as authentic as it gets! Small boat cruising among floating sea ice! Getting up close (but not too close) and personal with penguins - so many penguins - and other wildlife was just amazing. It was such a delight to watch the ornithologist’s and biologist’s excitement at obtaining visual and photo confirmation of 3 pairs of rockhopper/macaroni penguin pairs! The Captain kept us well informed every step of the way. The Christmas Eve show by the staff was such fun and more personal because they took time out of their other duties to rehearse it and present it for us. This trip well exceeded my expectations. I recommend Hurtigruten without reservation.

6 Helpful Votes