• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Viking Star Review

Editor Rating
1902 reviews
69 Awards

First Cruise and last - disappointing excursions and customer service from shore excursions desk

Review for Viking Star to the Caribbean
gemini19
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Dec 2021
Cabin:

This was the 3rd of three back to back solo cruises; Crystal and Celebrity were the others. I had wanted to go on Viking cruise since going to a travel convention and seeing the features of Viking. Overall first impressions were embarkment and on ship within 5 minutes and then the room was very spacious plenty of room and storage and love the coffee machine and amenities. The ship looked like a beautiful spa hotel. I found the food in the World Cafe to be a good variety and I ate there the most for most meals. Sous Chef Raguraman and Attendants Rosina and Nelson made my time up there very pleasant. I only tried the Manifred's once it was okay. I did not try the Chef's Table as I did not like the menus on either day I was scheduled to eat. I did like the Pool Grill I only tried the wings (didnt like) and the steak sandwich which was very good. I loved the presentation of the caption and crew along with guest speakers and performers. I loved the fact that they did show Its a Wonderful Life but the popcorn was not edible.

My main complaint was the excursions. With all the safety measures from masks on except when eating and pool and covid testing everyday, you think they would have the same standards for excursions. It started with first excursion in Cozume (my 5th time there) l. I found they just bus us in at different times and we weave our group thru the other 10 there no the speaker was sure to keep mask on but most of group did not it was too hot in the sun no shade as other group were in the way and she had to tell a story of the ruins. I gave up on the next excursion in Belize City (3rd time there) as it was another ruins site. I did got to the Honduras (2nd time there) with the botanical garden. First of all the bus aisle was only as wide as my forearm we were all squeezing down the aisle. Next it was rainy season and we were in the entrance of the garden and the speaker (no mask) did not want to risk getting bronchotis by going out in the rain so we waited until it slowed. Overall it was a 15 minute walk interesting but not worth getting off the boat as once the next bus came with people we took there bus back to boat. Next Costa Rica (2nd time) was an excellent tour thru costa rica to canals. Speaks and bus drivers pointed out sloths and birds along the routes and light snack with a little shop and the coffee is wonderful. My Colon Domed train ride was canceled and they recommended the Ferry Tour and this was the worst. No mask wearing by speaks and ferry tours operators (only when serving food) this was 9 hours of misery. You had the photographer talking politics and bashing the United States and also listening to loud music and soap operas while speaker was trying to describe going thru the canal. Next was every 10 minutes of ringing a bell to buy the souveniors. Lastly there was a race back to the boat as the tour ran over. This is only my 2nd time writing a complaint about a shore excursion so I put in a complaint and concerns to Scott Kinney shore excursions manager. A day later I want to Guest Services who said it is here in the system and we will have him get back to you. The next day he left and message I just got your survey and I tell people to wear masks at port talks and I will emphasize this more. Well I have been to all these ports before and don't need to go to a port talk to go thru all the excursions and what to expect you are not that important and I looked up the tour on cruise critic. I only wanted to express my displeasure with tour and all I was expecting was I sorry about this and we will do better that is customer service. As I did not pay for this tour I was just expecting something better then what I got. (please note I had a horrible tour on celebrity broke down 30 minutes by side of road in the heat. I did not complain but Celebrity had a bottle of wine in my room and an apology by dinner). That is customer service.

Based on horrible tours and bad customer service I will not be back on a Viking cruise again.

Cabin was very spacious and plenty of room and storage. Balcony a little small hard to watch going thru the canal as the table was huge but I got good pictures and video.

8 Helpful Votes