• Newsletter

Elsastar
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Dec 2021
Cabin:

I chose this Baja cruise bc I am interested in whales and dream of seeing them up close in beautiful settings. I had cruised to Antarctica w Lindblad and enjoyed it 3-4 years ago.

In Antarctica we did at least 2 expeditions a day. This Baja cruise we had far fewer and far shorter expeditions. On this cruise it was about one per day. Also the expeditions were usually short 1-2 hours: Examples are one hour zodiac tour or 1-2 hour walks. One destination we visited was Magdalena bay—a gray whale and humpback whale zone. We spent 2 days there. When we arrived we were informed (on the zodiac tour) that we didn’t have the license to whale watch and so even if we saw a whale we would have to turn away from it! Day 2 we saw some humpbacks breaching from the ship but after looking for 3 minutes the ship turned away and we left.

While I wasn’t expecting exhilarating shipboard entertainment, there was no tv in cabins and no WiFi. At first, I went to some educational sessions but was disappointed with their quality and eventually stopped going. Also I was disappointed that when some educational videos were shown they were from 20-30 years ago so the sound and video quality was substandard. A Jacques Cousteau video they showed us ended prematurely. They showed one pure entertainment movie— animated movie coco.

Small but adequate