• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

cwinters032863
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Sep 2021
Cabin:

I've been an RCCL cruiser for 20 years and have been on about 18 cruises. My very first cruise was on 9/11 and I was blown away by their responsiveness, communication and generosity of letting all passengers make free ship-to-shore calls to check on loved one back home. I've never had one of those "sick cruises" (but I do sanitize my hands as suggested) and my cruises have generally been really great experiences.

My last cruise was a completely different experience. Food was definitely lower quality. Also, I usually don't drink alcohol that much, but I decided to have a few drinks on different days and from different bars on the ship. It really tasted like all the drinks (different days, different bars and different servers) has absolutely no alcohol in them at all. It's hard to believe this was just coincidence and not some kind of new policy to reduce costs. Everything is now an upcharge with a separate fee attached. I understand that Covid has made the cruise line economics a little more challenging because they are not sailing at full capacity, but don't start watering down the drinks and skimping on quality food.

I also usually spend a fair amount of time in the casino on every cruise. I don't think cruise lines casinos are regulated the same was land-based casinos are, but I'd bet they also adjusted the slot machine winning payout ratios. Based on my past experience and discussions with other passengers, it seems very coincidental that one of the first post-Covid cruises had such a terrible losing streak at the slots for everyone.

6 Helpful Votes