• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Explorer of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
1980 reviews
12 Awards

Plenty went wrong, but Royal Caribbean was great!

Review for Explorer of the Seas to the Western Caribbean
steverk
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Family

Sail Date: Nov 2021
Cabin: Junior Suite

I chose this cruise because I wanted to do something special for the whole family for the Thanksgiving holiday. This was in port every day to places we hadn’t previously been, and it looked really interesting. I arranged flights for me, my wife, and 4 adult children through Royal Caribbean Air2Sea. The plan was to arrive the night before and use an Air BNB in San Juan Puerto Rico.

5 of us arrived without issue and found the Isla Verde by the Beach condo to be clean and convenient. However, my son, who was flying in from Birmingham AL had an immediate problem. He forgot to bring his original vaccination card and called in a panic just as he was about to board the plane. You cannot board a Royal Caribbean vessel without the original card. Fortunately, he did not get on the plane and American Airlines listed him as having missed his flight.

However, he now needed to schedule a replacement flight. A quick look at American Airlines and Travelocity showed no flights scheduled between Birmingham and San Juan that would arrive in time.

Junior Suite

We used the Royal Up program to go from a standard balcony to a Junior Suite. It's nice to have the additional space and our room is on the hump. That means we were close to the elevator and had a bumped out view. The room has about 50% more space than a standard room. Some of this is taken up by a larger bathroom with a tub and a walk in closet. This room became a meeting place for my whole family

10 Helpful Votes