• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • News
  • Deals

Carnival Mardi Gras Review

Editor Rating

Great service staff, lackluster shows, hit or miss food.

Review for Carnival Mardi Gras to the Eastern Caribbean
LMiles1207
2-5 Cruises • Age 20s

Family

Sail Date: Nov 2021
Cabin:

This review does not come from an avid cruiser, and it has been many years since my last cruise, so should be taken with that grain of salt, but I would say, in a word, the carnival Mardi Gras was " good". Not great, not bad. I do not necessarily think it was leagues above the other carnival ships we had sailed on in the past, and I suppose this was the expectation considering that it is they're newest ( generally expected to be improved) , biggest ship and the higher price point.

Embarkation: disappointing. We stood and waited... And waited... to board. It would make more sense to board people as they arrive instead of trying to stagger it into 3 groups. There was no option for us on when to board so we were in the last group. Because of our hotel check out time, we stood for hours and other patrons checked in as soon as they got there and boarded. It seems like they could've allowed you to choose a different checkin time before departure day so you're not standing around in a crowd in the middle of a pandemic waiting for them to allow you onboard..

Food: very much hit or miss. I had some amazing meals and some average. I like the variety of choices, the tacos asador appetizer at Chibang was one of the best tacos I've ever had, also loved their chile shrimp entree, but the pork dish was full of fat and left something to be desired. I got a garlic shrimp entree at palm and only got 4 shrimp. Lobster overcooked on lobster night. Very good pistachio pasta at la cucina. Vegetarian Indian dish not to my liking on flavor profile. Surprisingly a lot of things at the lido buffet were great! Try the gelato!

Good for what they were, but the bed was so firm that I always woke up sore.

7 Helpful Votes