• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Family

Sail Date: Oct 2021
Cabin:

The ship was beautiful (Orion) and our cabin was on the 3rd floor. Perfect position for movement to both the front and back of the ship. We only has about 400 on the ship which made us feel like we were on a private yaught. It was our first Viking Ocean cruise and both the ship and the ports were very good. First of all our bathroom was the largest we have had on any of our prior 7 cruises. Plenty of room for 2 at a time. Balcony was a little small but we travelled with another couple so we opened the divider between us for additional room. The guest demograhic was older and the ship had less entertainment than the big ships which was fine for us. No casino. Again no problem for us. The Star Theater had some quality entertainment but we only made a few shows during the 14 days as some were repeats.

After reading reviews prior to our trip I was looking forward to high quality food on the voyage. Maybe my expectations were too high before arrival but I was very disappointed. They tried to overdue every meal to make it "pretty" as oppose to "good". Very little seasoning. I quickly wished that they would serve mash potatoes and gravy with the meat loaf. Something simple. With the exception of prime rib one night the meet was not high quality. We ate 2 nights at the specialty resturant. Maybe I made bad choices on a very extensive menu but I was disppointed both nights.

The rating would have been a 5 if not for the food. If the review allowed I would give the staff a "10" because they were wonderful. Our steward Alvin each day provided my wife who was having knee issues with a bag of ice when we returned from our excursions. Note that Viking does not provide much assistance for those disabled. We looked for wheel chair to use when my wife had knee issues but to no avail. We have a Viking River cruise scheduled for 22. I will try to dampen my food expectations.

As noted above great bathroom with more room that others we have experienced. 3048 was in the middle of the ship which was perfect location for us. Regardless where you are located there are plenty of elevators and the ship is much smaller than the big 3000 guest ships. Steward was wonderful and attentive. We purchase the drink package $19.95 which was reasonable. Room service was quicky to bring drinks to the room. After I ordered 2 glasses of wine within an hour they decided to send up a bottle which was very convenient. Would like to have had a larger balcony.

Port Reviews