• Newsletter

fivecatzk
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Oct 2021
Cabin:

Let me first say, we love to cruise! This was the first cruise we scheduled after COVID. We chose this ship and this itinerary because we didn't want to fly and we could drive to NYC. We have also sailed on this ship twice before and we loved the entertainment. We also believed that we would be safe since EVERYONE had to be vaccinated and test negative for COVID prior to boarding.

NCL's mantra was "Sail Safe"-mask free! Well, that said, we happily boarded on Sunday and were thrilled to get back on this ship. Tuesday morning, we were approached by a member of security who told us there was a "medical matter" that needed to be attended to and we had to return to our room. He would not give us any further information, but told us we would receive a phone call from the doctor in the next 10-15 minutes. After 1 hour and no phone call, I called customer service and told them I needed to speak to the doctor on board. They finally connected me. The doctor told me I had been in "close contact" with someone who tested positive for COVID and that I would need to isolate for the remainder of the cruise. That was 5 full days. I was told that I would be "escorted" to my new isolation room and my husband was going to remain in our room that we booked. I was extremely upset by this since I "thought" I was safe. All of my COVID tests to that point were negative and I felt like NCL was not only putting my health at risk, but they were completely ruining what was supposed to be our 30th anniversary cruise. After being isolated, I asked if they would provide me with Internet to help me pass the time. They told me I could purchase a package if I wanted to; I declined.

I asked about exercising my legs (the room was very tiny) and they said I would have to stay in my room. They treated me as though I was a criminal even though I had done nothing wrong and followed every protocol they wanted. I asked about getting my money back for the cruise-they told me I would receive a "letter" on the last day that would provide instructions for filing a claim. For the next 5 days, I didn't know if I had COVID or not (fortunately, I did not) and my husband was so distraught, he did not leave the ship in Bermuda nor did he leave his own room much.

17 Helpful Votes