• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

MSC Meraviglia Review

Editor Rating

8 Days of Absolute Hell!!

Review for MSC Meraviglia to the Western Caribbean
Cruiseperson87
2-5 Cruises • Age 30s

Family

Sail Date: Oct 2021
Cabin:
Traveled with children

As a cruise "consumer", the expectation is that this event would allow one to decompress and let go of any stress. This was not the case when sailing with MSC. Before we even made it through security, my family and I was borderline ready to walk away. We arrived with all requested documentation relating to Covid. Security looked at my fiancee's negative covid result that was provided by her employer and denied us further entry. Their reason: It doesn't look real. She works for a medical company!! ... To continue, we had to purchase the $80 covid test. This was extremely frustrating and quite frankly, unnecessary. As soon as they tested her, they then pushed us through to board before they even waited for the results. What was the point of testing her if they're not even going to wait for the results? Clearly, this was a cash grab. I disputed this with security and they told me I had to take it up with Customer Relations on the ship. Fair enough. We get on the ship and I approach Customer Relations. Their response: "You'll have to take that up with security". I continued to express my anger and frustration and their response was "Call MSC when you get home". At this point, we have already decided we will not sail with MSC again in the future. The next day, I wake up early due to not sleeping well on the rock-solid bed! I wander the ship to get a better feel and there are THOUSANDS of dead birds everywhere! Pictures and videos are available upon request. My family and I have sailed on cruises before and this is new! Dead birds all over our balcony, main decks, and even in certain indoor areas where the birds were able to make their way in. I'm sure you can imagine how my 10-year-old daughter took to this. Fast forward a few days and we're taking part in one of the excursions. Again, supposed to be a wonderful time. As we were exiting the ship, we are told that we have to walk with a "chaperone" to and from the excursion. Reason: Because our daughter is 10 years old and not vaccinated. We look around and we see kids CLEARLY under the age of 10 running around with no issue. When I ask about it, he responds "Oh, I don't know anything about that". Overall, we were not able to visit Costa Maya. We were escorted to the excursion and directly back to the ship after the excursion was over and we were not allowed to shop or explore the destination. Again, I bring this up to Customer Relations and the overall communication ended with "Deal with it". Fast forward to the last day. We are standing in line for over 2 hours waiting to get off the boat. We finally reach the exit and they tell my mother her cabin has an unpaid tab... I set it up on day 1 to have her expenses directed to my card! What happened then? We are directed back to Customer Relations to settle the tab and they wouldn't allow us to move to the front once we completed that task. Once again, we stood in line waiting to get off while the rest of my party had to wait outside for us to get through.

Overall, The Meraviglia is a beautiful ship and the "lower" staff are extremely pleasant and kind... But that's it! My family and I cruise often and we figured we would give MSC a try since we had yet to sail with MSC. After this experience, we will never consider MSC again and we will never refer anyone to sail with MSC. I considered contacting MSC when I got home... But after the 8 days of hell we went through, I honestly had no interest in prolonging the frustration and stress.

4 Helpful Votes