Crown Princess Cruise Review

The Crown is the Jewel of the Princess fleet

Crown Princess Cruise Review by Ima Cruiser

• Sail Date: May 2010
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean

We stayed a few days in Venice prior to this cruise and I 'm very glad that we did as the city was lovely and we would not have had enough time to fully appreciate it if we had boarded on the day prior to departure. Embarkation was smooth although some passengers were provided water taxi vouchers to St. Marks square, we did not receive them and therefore had to pay full price for our transfers. Thankfully this was not a big deal.

I have to say that the Crown is gorgeous. We especially liked the Piazza area and Vines was a regular stop for us in the evening. The staff was always pleasant and Victoria at the pursers desk was exceptionally helpful with a wheelchair issue concerning a disabled traveler in our group.

The food however, was off and the breakfast menu was frustratingly difficult and repetitive for those who are on a low carb diet. They didn't even have whole grain bread for toast - only cracked wheat. They also had issues with beef and fish on the trip; the fish was always too fishy and the one night I ordered a fillet it looked more like a hockey puck than prime grade. I do give them points for creativity though, there were some dishes that were very original and quite good.

And finally, decent nightlife choices. The Crown was never lacking in things to do in the evening and even though this ship has a huge amount of passengers, it rarely felt congested or crowded.

I went to the Spa twice and the facial and massage I had were wonderful, but the product sales were high pressure which is irritating. They tried to sell me a body brush for $45 and I already have one which I only paid about $5 for.

The gym was great - never a problem getting on the equipment.

Ima Cruiser's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Bal R338

Great cabin just off main elevators mid-ship - everything seemed close.

Venice

So breathtaking - stay on a few days to really appreciate it. There is a lot to see here so keep moving and take in as much as you can!

Dubrovnik

Kind of a yawn. Old town is good for those who need wheelchairs; obviously you cannot walk the walls. Great beer!

Corfu

Great island - the old town in Corfu has a lot of character. Also suggest getting out of town. Paleokastritsa and the monastery are lovely. The Rex in town is a good place for lunch.

Kusadasi

Ephesis is a must; I loved the shopping here. Also, lunch was good. Great port and great locals.

Mykonos

So lovely! Great food; great wine; great shopping; great scenery!

Rhodes

My favorite on the trip - old town is wheelchair accessible. They serve you mass amounts of beer in a big German boot-shaped glass. Lots to see and very pretty.

Ima Cruiser