• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

morpheusofthesea
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Oct 2021
Cabin: Royal Suite

We booked this cruise having experienced the second sailing of the Edge post pandemic. Watching and following the first sailing of the Edge and the rave reviews we went on line to the Celebrity web -site and grabbed a cancelled CS in the Retreat, the last cabin 48hours before sailing. Having waited and waited, as everyone else, we were so Taken with the lower capacity sailings, the service, and the NO mask protocol that it actually brought tears of joy to our faces when we boarded and removed our masks. It was so good we booked again and again and again. Booking on board gave us an additional $350 -$400 OBC for a weeks cruise depending on the cabin category. This time we were fortunate enough to pick out a RS cabin in the Retreat, 690/70 sq ft. The balcony was rather too small for me. The Personal Retreat Host (butler) was able to remove a chair from the balcony and replace it with a reclining deck chair ( next time I will remember to specify the 'cushioned' type found in the Solarium, not the 'run of the mill' webbed type) which become uncomfortable after long hours of lounging).

We took all our meals in the suite dedicated restaurant Luminae. The service and food was great, we are not great gourmets and this is the fourth cruise this year that I did not fail to gain back another 8 lbs in the week. If only the food was monotonous, I might survive a longer cruise. After every dinner and dessert ( we ate early ) we would go to the 7pm show. Charity L. was fabulous in her tribute to Aretha Franklin. The introduction song with Aretha on the full backdrop screen singing a classic Aretha piece astounded us all when the lights came on to find it was not Aretha singing, but it was Charity. The audience gave a vocal 'gasp' of astonishment and awe at that moment. We then had a new ( new because he wasn't on the previous months) Hayden Smith with his wife performance. Awesome saxophone and some sort of clarinet with vocals from him and his wife. Not to be missed was Motown tribute, Uptown, 3 of the best performers move'n and groove'n that we went to the 9 pm show as well.

After the shows we would mosey over to the Oceanview Cafe (buffet). Hand washing stations were a plus, no self-service even plates and silverware were handed to us. The assortment of pastries was awesome and changed every evening. The pastries were my 'downfall'. In the morning the pastry girl came round the table and filled up 3 pastry dishes for different delights I never get at home. When we finish breakfast, we walk about the ship and before I 'retire' to my balcony cabin we stop by El Bachio and look over their pastries, all complimentary (free) for all guests. The servers can 'bag' or plate as many treats to take back to the cabin for later. This saves the butler from bringing the wrong type of treat.

Royal Suite

The cabin was great. Quiet. Across from the Luminae Restaurant. The balcony was too small for a RS, though I loved the shade provided by the overhang. Try to keep the sliding door closed, there are small birds that live in the metal rafters of this overhang and a small bird flew right into our bedroom. Luckily it was debarkation morning and DW would have a fit with me (she once heard a story of bird mites from a tablemate on a cruise years ago).

6 Helpful Votes