• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Family

Sail Date: Sep 2021
Cabin: Interior
Did not enjoy the food on Princess. What you see here is the worst lobster tail ever. They were all like shoe leather, and were so salty they were not enjoyable.
I think this was supposed to be New York steak. It was tough and full of gristle. Not well-presented or well-prepared.
King crab legs in the MDR were so old and tired, they had almost no flavor. Very unexciting meal. Poorly-prepared, and poorly-presented.
I had this meal at Sur La Mer. None of it was well-prepared, and sending it back did no good. Salmon and veggies were overcooked. Meal was terribly unexciting. Something you might expect at Hometown Buffet, but not on a cruise ship.

This was my very first Princess cruise, as well as my very first Alaska cruise, so I kept an open-mind in terms of expectations. Boarding was practically seamless, and the Medallion program a total game-changer. I arrived to the ship about an hour earlier than I was supposed to, but they didn't care. I was supposed to be in a later boarding group, but the crew welcomed me aboard early and without question. The interior of the ship was very well-kept and beautiful. I was expecting a relaxing cruise, rainy weather, and choppy seas, and that's exactly what I got. Because of the time of year, there were absolutely NO children, and that was a PHENOMENAL relief. Most of the passengers were over 60 years of age, so there was no partying. That was marvelous! All crew on board were extremely friendly and attentive. My interior cabin was very clean, and the young woman who attended to it everyday was wonderfully sweet. I let her know of an issue the first day with my bathroom having a urine odor to it, and she attended to the situation immediately. She did her job with excellence, but there was still a very powerful urine odor which lasted the entire week. That was not pleasant. My cruise fare included an alcoholic beverage package, which I found to be a tremendous value, and made the voyage all the more pleasant. I was allowed 15 alcoholic beverages per day (I never went over 5), and as many sodas and specialty coffees as I desired. As for the food... At best, the food was average. At worst, the food was terrible, whether you're talking Horizon Court, the MDR, or any of the specialty restaurants. Often times, the food was old, tired, and not creative or well-prepared. I was very excited to experience their "Chocolate Journeys" program, but, to my dismay, they said they were not doing that program for that particular voyage - HUGE disappointment. Lobster night, which I always look forward to, included lobster tails that were as tough as shoe leather and were so salty that they were almost inedible. Yet when I researched Princess's food offerings on YouTube, it was clear that their food was excellent, and therefore my expectations were high. I had heard that Princess has some of the best pizza on sea. Went to Alfredo's one evening with friends to see if this was true, and we all agreed the pizza was some of the WORST any of us have had on sea. Seriously, most of the food offered this voyage tasted like it was catered by Hometown Buffet or Golden Corral. From the Prime Rib to the Yorkshire pudding to the King Crab legs - none of it (at least the premium selections) was good at all. Breakfast menu in the MDR had almost no selection whatsoever, and it was like they brought a few things up from the buffet. Seriously? Might as well just go to the buffet, and that's what we did every morning. Bakery selections in Horizon Court were paltry... actually, the entire selection offered in Horizon Court (buffet) was paltry. For me, food is a huge part of the entire cruise experience, and Princess consistently limboed under that bar the entire week. RCL has never disappointed in the food department. As for the shows, I felt that most of the singers in each number were very very average. I would have been bored to tears had they not had a professional singer named Barbi McCulloch. She literally carried each production number on her own shoulders. Beyond that, I wasn't too impressed as far as the entertainment went. The shows were otherwise pretty average. With the previous COVID shutdowns taken into consideration, I would definitely give Princess another try. Overall, I enjoyed the Majestic, and the experience as a whole.

Interior

Strong urine odor in the bathroom. Even after the Housekeeper gave the bathroom a good scrubbing, the odor still remained for my entire voyage.

2 Helpful Votes