• Newsletter
  • Cruise Tips

Norwegian Encore Review

Editor Rating
1 Award

Alaska isn't my cup of tea but NCL onboard experience was great

Review for Norwegian Encore to Alaska
Mally900
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Sep 2021
Cabin: Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom

I never had much desire to go to Alaska because I'm not into wildlife viewing or outdoorsy activities. However, I was itching to get back to cruising after 18 months at home and I got a decent deal on this Alaska cruise leaving Seattle 9/25. NCL did a fantastic job with Covid testing, embarkation and disembarkation. All were well organized and efficient. The Encore is lovely but my solo balcony cabin was tiny. I couldn't imagine 2 adults sharing such a small space and I was very glad I didn't have to. The couch is right up against the closet making access to the closet very awkward. Surprisingly, there was a fair amount of movement that could be felt on this ship. I love rough seas so it didn't particularly bother me but I could see where it could be an issue for those prone to sea sickness.

Food and service were great in all the restaurants I tried (Savor, Manhattan, Los Lobos, Cagney's and the buffet.) In fact, I feel that food quality is one area that NCL has improved exponentially since pre-Covid days. Service in the bars is also vastly improved but I assume that's due to reduced capacity on the ship.

Entertainment was mostly top notch. I especially enjoyed the comedians, the violinist and Kinky Boots. (Choir of Man was canceled due to "operational issues.") I don't particularly care for the reservation system NCL uses for some shows and I'm not quite sure why thay aren't all "first come, first served."

Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom

Port Reviews

Glacier Bay

Really nothing here.

Juneau

Touristy.

Seattle

Filthy and unsafe. Such a shame for a city that used to be so beautiful.

14 Helpful Votes