3. Rotterdam
This was our first cruise. We had ten people ranging from ages 68 to 5. My husband and I are in our 30's and our daughters are 11 and 5. We flew into Seattle the day before our cruise and stayed at the Radisson Airport. The rooms were very clean, and the staff was very helpful. We took the monorail downtown and enjoyed Pike's Place market, the first Starbucks, and all of downtown. We loved Seattle. Embarkation was very quick and easy. The Lido of course was packed, and you had a very long wait for any lunch. We were about 45 minutes late leaving port because of a medical emergency. When we finally left, it was beautiful watching the Seattle skyline. Sunday morning the ship was really rocky, and my daughter and I had a difficult time, but once we got our "sea legs" it was fine. If I had to do it over, I would have chosen to leave from Vancouver with generally calmer seas. Juneau: It was an absolutely beautiful port with sunny skies and a high of around 70. We went dog sledding and to a musher's camp. We really enjoyed it. Hubbard's Glacier: We cruised the glacier, and it was unbelievably beautiful with cold blue water. We got to see and hear the glacier calving. I couldn't believe we were seeing something so amazing! Sitka: We loved the scenery and beauty of Sitka. It was overcast and upper 50's, but that didn't take away from the beauty of this port. We did the Raptor Center. My girls loved seeing the bald eagle demonstration! Ketchikan: We enjoyed Ketchikan although it did rain some, but not downpours. We saw the Lumberjack Show, and my oldest daughter was called down to participate in the show....so much fun, and we had to pack a small chair they gave her! ? Victoria: Victoria was a beautiful city, but the wind was really blowing. So, it was very cold! It was also an evening port. So, we didn't stay out long. We just did our horse drawn carriage tour. We enjoyed seeing everything. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Lido buffet ( a few room services too). We found the food to be very good with a wide variety to choose from. We ate in the main dining room nightly. The service and food was wonderful. They especially catered to our daughters and served them shrimp cocktail nightly (whether it was on the menu or not because it was their favorite). I went to the spa one day and had a neck/shoulder massage, mini facial, foot massage, and scalp massage. Awwww...I feel relaxed just thinking about it. Our room was a quad on the main deck. We had plenty of room for storage, and our room stewards were excellent. They had lots of towel animals and extra candies for us! My children enjoyed the Lido deck pool, ping pong tables, life size chess set, shuffleboard, and basketball. The oasis was also very nice with hammocks (of course when weather permitted.) The retreat was a nice area, and when it was warm enough, the large screen was neat to watch. However, a second covered pool would have been much better than the wading pool. Out of curiosity, I felt the water one day, and it was freezing. I never saw anyone sitting in the chairs in the wading pool. I guess it would be okay for a warm destination, but definitely not Alaska! The shows were fair. The comedian was great, and the show "It Takes Two" was good. But, the other shows we saw were geared more toward an older audience I guess. We had never heard of most of the songs. We ended up leaving early. Disembarkation was equally easy and uneventful. We paid to have our luggage transported. It was well worth the $19 per person to not have to try to carry our luggage through Seattle and the other airports! This was an amazing cruise. The Rotterdam was clean, beautiful, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The service was truly top of the line. We were impressed with everything.

First Time Cruisers Amazed with Alaska and HAL!

Rotterdam Cruise Review by Dana'sDaughters

• Sail Date: May 2010
  • Destination: Alaska
Dana'sDaughters’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Holland America Rotterdam price drops

Nice room....plenty of storage for the four of us. The upper bed did make a lot of squeeky noises with the movement of the ship.
  Rotterdam Deck Plans