This was my 33rd cruise and my 15th on Holland America Line. Guess you could say I like the HAL experience. It was also my fifth trip to Alaska - but I'd never seen Glacier Bay on previous itineraries. We knew GB would be the highlight of the trip...and it was. The weather was amazing. Juneau and GB had temps in the low 70s (just after Memorial Day weekend), so we enjoyed the wonder of Alaska under sunny skies. After spending the day in GB, I can hardly wait to experience it again. Truly magnificent. I had done the rest of the itinerary before: Juneau, lots to see and do and shop; Sitka, sort of ordinary and not much to see; Ketchikan, lots of rain (and still more shopping); and Victoria, B.C., which we visited for only a few hours (but got me thinking that a return visit to BC is in order). The Zaandam is a fine ship. I'm only going to cover some highlights: the Pinnacle Grill: worth the $25 extra per person charge - a five star dining experience at sea; As You Wish dining option: finally, HAL offers an option from the set dining times (we had no trouble getting a table for two any night of the week); Charlie Jourdan in the Piano Bar: a great singer/guitar player who was the entertainment highlight of our week; DVD players in the cabins: nice; bar service throughout the ship: gracious and ever present; public rooms: great quiet nooks to watch the scenery go by; daily activities: something for every interest. Just a few lowlights: casino: way too small for a ship this large; on-board shopping: surprisingly ordinary; Lido Restaurant: got better as the week went on; showroom entertainment: as ordinary as on most cruise ships. But the Zaandam is a beautiful ship and a great value. We'd sail on her again.

Glacier Bay on the Zaandam

Zaandam Cruise Review by borntocruise2010

• Sail Date: May 2010
  • Destination: Alaska
But the Zaandam is a beautiful ship and a great value. We'd sail on her again.
borntocruise2010’s Full Rating Summary