Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review

Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by davidh68

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Celebrity Suite

Wanted to see the western coast of India and to travel with friends. Had been on this ship once before (Norway) and liked it.

We were in a Celebrity Suite, which is basically just a veranda suite, but has butler service and access to the Luminae restaurant. Cabin steward and butler both very good and helpful, especially when the ship was rerouted and we had to change plans due to COVID. It was made easy for us, but it seemed many people were waiting in long lines at reception to get help with rebooking flights, etc.

The ship needs refurbishment and was supposed to go to dry dock in May, soon after our cruise ended, but that was halted due to COVID.

The Luminae restaurant, reserved for suite class, is outstanding and dining there was probably the best part of the cruise.

I liked the pool, but you had to get there when it opened in order to really get some exercise, otherwise too many people using it.

The decks were packed with sunbathers during the day. I suppose that was to be expected, but not a pleasant sight.

I remembered liking the gym and sauna from the first time I cruised on this ship. The sauna, while it functioned, had some rotting and broken teak benches and flooring. Otherwise, it is quite pleasant with a huge round window that looks out to sea.

Internet service was unlimited and outstanding, the best I have seen on any ship (Seabourn Quest’s, for instance, is terrible). As good as our WIFI at home.

We went on a couple of shore excursions. I generally avoid them. We were taken to a marvelous Hindu temple in Colombo and had plenty of time there,, otherwise it was pretty much a waste of time.

I like this ship and I hope it is refurbished well and soon; I would sail on it again in the suite class, but not below.

davidh68's Full Rating Summary

Celebrity Suite

Cabin was surprisingly small, but more than adequate. Good closet space. Bathroom adequate. Cabins need to be updated!

Colombo

I think we would have done better to be on our own. We too a bus tour of the city - silly.Did visit a wonderful Buddhist temple.

Interesting port. We hired a professional guide and a driver; the guide was very knowledgeable. Visited old Goa and a Hanuman temple. Ate some (safe) street food. Walked around the old town. Enjoyed Goa, a place I had wanted to see since I was a child.

Mumbai (Bombay)

Great city with a lot to see, not to mention the people. We went out to Elephanta Island on a put-put boat, Interesting ride and the the island is a fabulous archaeological site.

Kochi (Cochin)

Visited the old Synagogue and the Mattancherry palace. Both well-worth seeing. Enjoyed riding in a tut-tut back to the ship.

Dubai

Dubai is big and flashy. We just stayed in the hotel grounds (Hyatt) which were beautiful and with a great pool. I wouldn’t want to return to Dubai for itself.

Muscat

I liked the looks of this city but I feel I didn’t get a proper sense of it (my own fault).I enjoyed walking through the souk. Probably would hire a professional guide and driver if I went there again.

Phuket

Didn’t get there or Singapore because ship turned around and we headed back to Dubai due to COVID activity in Singapore and elsewhere.

davidh68