Marella Explorer 2 Cruise Review

This cruise had my name written on it

Marella Explorer 2 Cruise Review by Bajpole

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Caribbean

We chose this cruise because it departed from Barbados on February 16th and my birthday was the next day.

My husband and I normally cruise in November and March but this year because it was my 65th birthday we decided to sail earlier. With all the rumours of coronavirus we thought we would get a vacation before the pandemic set in, never really expecting anything so serious. Needless to say, we timed it well and I had one of the best birthdays ever.

Because we had cruised on Explorer 2 the previous November, many of the crew remembered us and it was like meeting up with old friends.

As mentioned previously, our cabin was more than adequate with lots of storage and the bed was comfortable. The glass door in the shower made the whole ablution process much more enjoyable than having a shower curtain.

Breakfast was taken in the MDR mainly because they offered smoked salmon and had daily specials. Lunch was usually from the Snack Shack and selections from the Marketplace.

Our evening meals were taken in Vista, a wonderful gourmet style Italian restaurant which is part of the Main Dining Room. Of course Dragi and Eugene (our "friends" from the November cruise) looked after us very well.

We enjoyed the Caribbean live band, The Collective, who played a wide range of reggae and calypso and had most guests on their feet, and those who couldn't dance were tapping their feet to the rhythms.

I received a whole array of folded towel animals for my birthday, together with several vouchers including a photo shoot for my birthday and of course a small birthday cake at dinner. Although I expect that all birthday guests have the same experience, I have to say that it did make me feel special. So, thank you Marella.

We have visited the destinations many times before but still enjoyed a few tours. We did an island tour of Tortola and saw some breathtaking views. In St Maarten we did a little shopping and walked around and were glad that the island was recovering from the 2017 hurricane Irma damage. In Antigua we paid a visit to the north of the island passing the Viv Richards cricket stadium on the way to Nonsuch Bay Resort. In st Kitts and St Vincent we just walked around the town centre enjoying some of the local food.

Bajpole's Full Rating Summary

Our cabin was more than adequate with lots of storage, including the shelving behind the mirror and the bed was very comfortable. The glass door in the shower made the whole ablution process much more enjoyable than having a shower curtain. Our cabin stewards were super efficient and although face cloths are not usually provided, I asked for them and they were provided.

Next Review