3. Columbus
It was my 70th Birthday and we saw an Add in October for a 70 day cruise to London going to taste many places I could not afford to normally travel to. Covid-19 was in the news and we had China and Honkong removed from the ports to be visited. I checked with our agent the week before and he said it would go ahead. I noted the Travel insurance would not refund us if we pulled out. 25th February we left sydney and visited The whitsundays and the Yorkes Knob. We saw from new articles that there was issues and asked the management team are they going to abort the cruise, they said no all is good. Aday out of Yorkes Knob we were told we will not be going to New Guinea and Japan and the ship would visit Darwin. By the time we got to Darwin we could seem more ports on the cruise are closing to cruise ship. I wanted to get off but there was a lot of money at stake. We left Darwin and went to Bali, Lombok and Semerang. We were going to Jakata and seriously considering flying home. On the Thursday 12th March we were told the cruise was cancelled but we were to go north to swap ships and go back to Perth on the Vasgo De Gama. on the 18th we swapped ships off Thailand very easy transfer. By the way we had no virus on either ship. We headed for Perth. We arrived on Friday the 27th and the ship wanted us all of the boat by saturday afternoon, unbeknown to the ships Captain the WA Government unfortunately stepped in and we were held on board until late monday night. We were put in to isolation until Good Friday with very very poor food, no grog, no excercise etc. The disembarkment was amess and too 8hours for us to get to our hotel room. In conclusion I believe CMV should have cancelled the cruise in Darwin. There was enough information out there to make that decision. We spent 16 days at sea from the time we were told the cruise was cancelled until we got to Perth 11 Days in Lockdown, another week waiting for a flight home. The Crew, Both ships, Reading about eastern european I agree with others, they were not happy people, and did not want to be on board, some were outright rude. BUT the Asians were great, both ships had great performers. Now we are trying to get our promised refund as its now 80 odd days from the cancellation we are being fobbed off by the Travel Company, now looking at legal action. Probably we do another Cruise with CMV if we get a refund but not as long.

Cruise aborted too late

Columbus Cruise Review by Rosco4271

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Baltic Sea

The disembarkment was amess and too 8hours for us to get to our hotel room.

Probably we do another Cruise with CMV if we get a refund but not as long.
Rosco4271’s Full Rating Summary
Get Columbus price drops

Columbus
The first Cabin was disgusting, had a bad smell the corridor was smoke filled and permenated in to the room, we refused the take the room and eventually first day we were moved to a nice cabin, Management was very good about it. It was a bit smaller than we thought we were getting but it was tired however spotlessly clean. staff was great and happy.
Vasgo De Gama
Cabin was larger than the Columbus and we had no choice in position but it was clean, happy staff. We had Airconditioning issues and they tried not to address it but being an engineer I had the upper hand with the technician and he spent a couple fo hours change a damper motor, no more issues.