3. Celebrity Solstice
I have read a review by Msglodenhair and agree with most of her review of her on board experience, of the ship and the captain and crew. However prior to embarkation, I had attempted to register on the Celebrity email log on pages that my wife was Gluten intolerant and that she would need a Gluten free diet. Having cruised in the Princess and P & O lines, that was a simple option to highlight and once on board the crew were ready to attend to my wife's dietary needs. I could not find any reference to special dietary needs, although I looked everywhere I could. I asked our travel agent to see if she could find the details I was looking for and she came back to me that it had been done by the Auckland agent for Celebrity Cruises. Once on board the Celebrity Solstice and our first visit to the dining room we found that my wife was not expected. There was no Gluten free option available at all. For a starter the only offer was a salad, but when all the possible gluten elements were removed it was just a plate of lettuce. I suggested to the waiter that at least some tomato could have been included and he returned with a medium sized tomato. It did get better after this first meal, but we were also disappointed with the quality of a firm favourite meal, Eggs Benedict which lacked the zing in the Hollandaise Sauce. For a Cruise line that should have been superior to the likes of Princess and P & O, we did not experience that in our dining on the Celebrity Solstice. Other than our dining experience, the other aspects of our cruise we really enjoyed. The entertainment on board was of a very high standard and the Faberge presentation was really superb. Communication from the bridge was really appreciated as we were sailing during testing times world wide so the Captain's updates were of great help for us in our decision making. The Captain had a friendly manner and a good sense of humour with it. Sadly we felt it necessary to end the cruise when we arrived at Dunedin. It was a hard decision to make but we do not regret making it. The crew readily accepted our decision and helped us with our bags to get off the ship. We would definitely sail with Celebrity again as our means to travel to/from Austalia to visit our daughters who live there - just as soon as it is again safe to travel.

Dining experience

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Leen Vandenberg

Leen Vandenberg’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Inside Stateroom
We found the cabin to be spacious and what we expected as an interior cabin. We asked for an interior cabin on a lower deck and midships. That is what we got. It was quiet and very comfortable but then the seas were smooth.
Plaza Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Christchurch City Tour
    Lovely trip to Christchurch and enjoyed the time spent there. The bus trip to/from was very comfortable and the driver gave us a running commentary of interesting facts about the wider Christchurch area.
    View All 39 Christchurch City Tour Reviews