Le Dumont d'Urville Cruise Review

The best overall cruise experience out of our 30 plus cruises!

Le Dumont d'Urville Cruise Review by weezer7612

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: South America

Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I’m going to summarize what we look for in a cruise vacation which we felt Ponant came closest to an overall exceptional experience and why.

My sister n husband ( late 50s very active non drinkers) and my husband (70) and myself(62) - both drinkers and not super active wanted a Xmas holiday experience together. We didn’t want to travel too far from USA and wanted a under 14 trip. I’ve been on a similar in Italy with a girlfriend to Costa Rica n thru Panama Canal with Windstar and felt this would satisfy everyone’s likes.

PROS:

Ships decore is STUNNING.

Even though is a “ small ship”- under 2OO passengers you don’t feel like you are missing anything ( except if you are a casino person).

Food was Fabulous. Worked for my sisters sophisticated taste and my more simple taste.

You always had option to eat inside or out. We love dining outside with sea air.

All managers, Captain and Directors spoke good English as a second language and they were so accommodating to all our requests.

Cabins maximized space beautifully...even bathrooms were a Wow with separate showers !

Nightly theater entertainment was SO Outstanding. I can’t stand the mediocre kind of “ Lawrence Welk ” shows on most lines.This was so superior to anything I’ve seen on a ship.

My husband signed up for a Bridge tour by captain. He said Captain was so enthusiastic, equipment was the newest technology -it was fascinating !

Cons:

Some of servers English was rather poor and hard to communicate with,

Needed more sanitation stations around ship ( I’m sure that will change!502)

My brother-in-law needed sling for arm. DR didn’t even have one .

This itinary is All About Nature... I booked independent all day tours on my own- ships offerings were very limited. However highly recommend 2 included tours - Panama Nicoya peninsula and the Native tribe that lives there n the stop at Hollanders Cay for day.

weezer7612's Full Rating Summary

Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)

This is a simple industrial port. It’s a long trip from West coast ( Guanacaste) beach towns or from San Jose to get there but the ride is very pretty country and very safe . I recommend just get there and get on ship.

Quepos

Go to Manuel Antonio National Park. Go early as this country is very humid but lots of shade in park n on trails..,go with guide or hire one at entrance. We used Mikenaturetour online. They were so good we used them two days in a row!

Next Review