What was meant to be a holiday of a lifetime was spoilt by choosing Holland America as our cruise line. We were on a 15 night cruise starting from Sydney on February 26th. Although this ship was refurb the only changes to the cabins was the television on the wall. The bathrooms are very tired and our friends whose cabin was next door had the enamel peeling off the bath. On return from our holiday I checked my bank account and noticed we had been overcharged by $70. We called HAL and they were extremely unhelpful said it would take weeks to look into it as they are busy doing refunds. After not hearing from them my husband chased and they sent us a copy of our bill. We could clearly see where the overcharge was they took money for a dressing gown and the plastic cover they put on the bed before you put the suitcase on it. First of all I would not want to steal a dressing gown that hundreds of people have worn and secondly why would I want a piece of dirty plastic that hundreds of suitcases have been on. We are still trying to get our money back and we have been told we have to wait a further 28 days for them to look into it. I am absolutely disgusted with this company and will never travel with them again. The service on this ship was not good, we had dirty glasses left in the cabin for days on end. The waiter who served us at dinner after about 12 days of serving us still could not get it that one of us was vegetarian and kept offering her meat. I was told by head office before we went that the men could wear smart shorts in the dining room but when we got there they refused to let them in shorts. Some of the staff were rude which is not what you should experience when you are paying the sort of money you pay to cruise. I have been on Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean and have never experienced rude staff before only on HAL. We were overcharged one night for drinks in fact we had about three different charges for one lot of drinks. (This overcharging seems to be a pattern). The entertainment was non existent and I think we saw the Cruise Director once, all he was was a voice on the tannoy system. Nothing happening at all at night, we would leave the dining room at about 9.15pm and there was not a sole around it was a ghost town. BBKings is the same every night so after a few times its extremely boring and the two piano players were so bad it was a cringe worthy experience. In the theatre they had hardly anyone on so the same people entertained twice in the 15 days. Once you have sat listening to a very bad comedian once you do not want to have that experience again. In my opinion the worst cruise company going and if you want to be bored and spoken to in a bad manner then yes HAL is the company to go with.

Terrible experience - Money taken from my account on return from cruise

Noordam Cruise Review by alfiebarney