3. Norwegian Epic
Two destinations were cancelled and one was changed before sailing. When my travel agent called to ask for a credit or to cancel the reservation, we were advised that it was too late since the last payment had been made. I ordered a package of 12 x 1L bottles of water before sailing. They were charged to me twice. I called the customer service line and spent over an hour on the phone with them. They reimbursed me for both and advised that there was a package on my account already. This package was apparently later cancelled due to non-payment which we only found out when we checked into our cabin and I called to ask why it was missing. They said that it had been cancelled and the price was higher once on the ship. We scheduled an airport transfer from the ship to the airport at the end of the cruise. Shortly before flying to San Juan our return flights were changed. Rather than flying out before 12pm, they were now late in the afternoon. Our travel agent called Norwegian's customer service to cancel the transfer and was advised that we should go to Guest Services once we'd boarded the ship. After boarding the ship, we went to Guest Services and they refused to cancel the transfer and the latest transfer was still too early. I talked to two supervisors and a manager and they all refused and did not offer any flexibility or changes. Around the 5th day of the 12 day cruise (including disembarkation day), an announcement was made that there would be high winds/waves from that day (Thursday) until Tuesday. There was no mention of any changes to the schedule or potential for changes. On the Saturday night, it was announced that our Sunday stop in St. Kitts would be changed to Martinique. I called Guest Services because we had an excursion booked with our travel agent (not NCL) and I wanted to get it cancelled/reimbursed. I was advised I'd have to go down to Guest Services to use the phone where a large line-up of other guests had formed. The next day, Sunday, we stopped in Martinique. Everything was closed. We were advised by the tourist information that they had not been expecting a ship and so nothing had opened as it usually would to accommodate the tourists. Additionally, the currency is Euros and we had no stops scheduled where Euros were required so we were not able to buy anything from the stands apart from a few that were accepting US dollars at a premium exchange. When we returned to the ship, they announced that our stop the following day in Antigua was being changed to Guadeloupe. We went down to Guest Services and spoke to the General Manager who told us we were "lucky" to be stopping as other cruise lines had not found open ports. We then used the computers that were provided to research what to do in Guadeloupe after our awful experience in Martinique. There was 4 computers for over 4,000 guests that were being sent to an unplanned location and a line-up. By the time we got a computer, we had half a dozen people looking over our shoulders trying to see what information we were finding. I tried to check my email to update my travel agent but my email required a secure code sent to my cell phone which was not functioning on board. I complained to Guest Services and asked for internet on my phone temporarily or some form of compensation for the changes. I was advised none would be given. The general manager than made an announcement in the theatre that other cruise ships, which he had named in our earlier chat, had stopped in St. Kitts and couldn't leave due to the storm, contradicting the information he had personally given us less than one hour before. Guadeloupe was also Euro currency, many of their stores/restaurants/etc are closed on Mondays (it was a Monday). The tourist information advised us that the nearest beach that we had researched and were planning to go to was on strike so we'd have to go to a beach further out which was over 30 minutes by bus - which required Euros. When we got back on the ship, we went to Guest Services and asked to call our travel agent. Once reached, she advised that she had been trying to reach us on the boat since the previous day and the line was always busy. I complained to Guest Services once again about all the schedule changes before and during cruising and she told me that if I was concerned with the changes before the sail date, I should have cancelled (which we were told by customer service we couldn't do) and that the changes during the trip were for safety so no compensation would be given. In addition to all of the above, the cruising channel in our cabin was never updated to reflect the updated destination so we had no way of knowing the weather for upcoming destinations and due to the winds, etc. It was very cloudy and rainy in some ports but we couldn't plan much do to the lack of any information being communicated to us. Overall, we did not enjoy or cruise because we felt as though once we got on the boat, Norwegian no longer cared about us as they already had our money. They did nothing to appease any of our concerns on what was already a unpleasant cruise due to the amount of rocking and motion due to the winds and waves. Out of the 9 destinations we originally booked for and waited an additional year to enjoy, we only got to see 4

Terrible Cruise Experience