3. Carnival Liberty
Overall I enjoyed this cruise experience. Some things I really enjoyed about the Carnival Liberty were: 1) The inside stateroom (8250) was plenty roomy enough and everything worked as it should. Some newer ships have much smaller inside rooms, but on the Liberty it was a perfect size. Not cramped for 2 adults. I also like that you can order a 12 pack of water prior to the cruise for a reasonable price and it is delivered to your stateroom. Other cruise lines rip you off for water, but carnival keeps the price fair. Our stateroom steward Pedro did an excellent job and was always cheerful. Really enjoyed having him take care of us! 2) This ship is very accessible for general cruisers, and by that I mean there are not a lot of areas reserved for guests who pay more. Some cruise ships I've been on feel like half of the top decks are reserved for people who pay extra, but not the liberty. You feel like everyone is treated the same with the same access to facilities. Very nice for someone like me who likes to keep things affordable. Space was never an issue. I never had a hard time finding space on the pool deck to sit down. Some of the hot tubes would get busy during the afternoon (especially since the main pools were too cold for most people to use in February). Same with the buffet area, I never had trouble finding a space to sit. I noticed on the Liberty they had a few extra buffet areas than on the sister ship Victory I've been on, and it is a better use of space and people spread out more. I enjoyed the extra buffet stations on the Liberty. 3) The cruise ship didn't stick of cigarette smoke with the exception of the casino. I've been on some NCL ships where most of the inside stunk of smoke, but the carnival does a much better job of keeping the smoke isolated to the casino deck. There is also a side of the ship where people can smoke outside, but as long as you avoid this you really don't notice it. Anytime I was at the pool decks (aft or mid) I never smelt smoke. I really appreciated this. 4) There was a variety of entertainment and was pretty easy to find something to enjoy. I really enjoyed the comedy of Vince Morris. This guy had skill and was very funny! I would watch him again. The other comedian, PJ Walsh, wasn't my style of comedy. The outdoor theater had a variety of new released movies which was nice. I got to watch Aladdin, Joker, Ford vs. Ferrari, and several others. I enjoyed this at night. My dad went to one of the broadway style shows featuring a laser light show and he enjoyed it. It wasn't advertised as having the laser show, so I didn't go, but after I found out about it I wish I had gone (it was advertised as bringing the silver screen to life through motion pictures (Flick)). 5) Some of the food was nice. I enjoyed Guy's burger joint, the pizza pirate shack, and the BBQ station above the buffet. For the sit down restaurant some of the food was good, and some was just average. 6) There were plenty of places to look overboard the ship from the outside. Some newer ships make it very hard to find a place to look out into the ocean, but this ship has plenty of space. 7) Our cruise director MarQ was amazing! I've had some mediocre cruise directors and some good ones, but MarQ was great. He had a good personality and was always very funny. When he hosted the 'newlywed game' he was amazing and it make it so funny! I actually enjoyed listening to his on-ship announcements. Excellent job! 8) The fitness area was good for me. It had everything I wanted (exercise bike and free weights). It also had free access to a sauna and steam room which was nice to see. It is a little hard to find because it's hidden behind the SPA (in the front of the ship). Some things I did NOT like: 1) We booked pretty late and did not have a choice of dinning times. My dad (senior citizen) and I wanted the early dinning time of 6pm because he has trouble staying up late and the 8:15pm dinning time wasn't good for him. He would not join me for the 8:15pm time and would only go to the buffet early, so we called a few days before printing boarding passes and they said they couldn't change it. On board the ship we asked various dinning room maitre de no less than 7 times over the course of two days and finally were able to get it changed. On the first night they didn't allow us to change but put us on a wait list. Thankfully we were able to dine early at the anytime dinning restaurant (golden restaurant). We went at the start (5:45pm) and there was plenty of room, but they would not let us do this again the next night so we had to go back to the other resturant (silver resturant) and ask again. On the second day we tried calling guest services to see if they could help, but they were not able to get a change. On the second dinning night we went at 6pm and waited for everyone to be seated to see if there was room. They let us in and sat us at the smallest table that sat 4 people and we were going to have dinner with 2 others. Thank goodness the other 2 didn't show up, because we were packed in tight! In fact, there were tons of large tables that were half full or completely empty. I don't like the way carnival reserves dinning rooms seating for people who *might* show up one or two nights out of the cruise. It really limits the availability for others who want to eat at a specific time. I MUCH prefer the way Norwegian does dinning where you just show up and get seated at a table. No reserved tables, no reserved times. Eventually we were moved to another private table for 2 and we kept this table for the rest of the cruise. It was a pain trying to get this change and wasted a lot of time and effort on our part. Neither of us enjoyed this aspect of the cruise. 2) Another aspect of the sit down dinning we did not enjoy was that around the main meal but before desert they would come over the intercom and interrupt everyone's dinner with silly messages and then blast this terrible music for about 10 minutes and have staff running around the dinning room dancing on tables and trying to get the guests to get up and dance. Some people might enjoy this, some people might put up with this, but I really disliked this. I want to go to the sit down dinning room to have a quiet dinner with my family, have good conversation, relax and enjoy a good meal. They interrupted us EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. During these daily disruptions food was slow to arrive and the remainder of your meal usually came out not fresh. For these reasons I give the dining the lowest score. Some of the buffet stations were good along with the specialty stations, but most of the main buffet was just average buffet food. 3) By the end of the cruise most people sounded sick with coughs (more than half). This was right at the beginning of the virus panic and I made sure to always wash my hands and use the hand sanitizer, but near the end of the 3rd day someone sneezed right on me. I would not recommend crusing during cold / flu season. That was a mistake we made. I caught a bad cold from someone on board and my dad caught it from me. Doesn't help that the first day they cram everyone into a small space for the lifejacket drill where you are literally touching everyone around you because they cram you in so tight. This was a bad end to our curise and I didn't feel good for 1.5 days of the cruise. Bummer. That sums it up. I would go back on this ship if I can find a good deal, but I would probably look for another time instead of cold / flu season.

Overall happy

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by towert7

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Interior
Overall I enjoyed this cruise experience.

Some things I really enjoyed about the Carnival Liberty were:

Some things I did NOT like:

towert7’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Interior
Cabin 4F
This cabin was good. Everything worked as it should, and it had plenty of room and plenty of places to store clothes / other items. The safe was an okay size. Bathroom was nicely laid out with enough room. We were inbetween two other stateroom decks so it was quiet.

Beds felt a little strange to lay on, but it was okay for me to sleep on.

Out stateroom steward Pedro did an excellent job and was always cheerful. Really enjoyed having him look after our room.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins