Antarctica/South Georgia was number one on my travel wish list (having recently checked off #'s 2 and 3... gorilla trekking and Papua New Guinea). I had been looking for more than a decade for an Antarctica cruise and found a great deal for this cruise a couple of months before departure. It was truly the trip of a lifetime (which is saying a great deal considering I've visited over 100 countries, every continent, and every world wonder). Everything about this cruise was near perfect. The staff, crew, servers, expedition crew were top rate. The lectures were interesting and the Seasick Band and crew performances fun and lively. The passengers were all upbeat and positive. I heard no complaints or negativity, which is very rare on a cruise. The food was excellent, plentiful and offered a good selection at each meal. I was amazed that we had fresh fruit and salads for the duration of the 21-day cruise. Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze as were the transfers to and from the airport. Bags were ready when I arrived on the vessel. I felt safe getting in and out of the zodiacs for the shore excursions. Everyone seemed very well trained. The itinerary was as good as it gets. Three days in the Falklands, 5 days in South Georgia and 6 days in Antarctica. Having good weather (except on our Stanley landing) was a big bonus. We only missed one landing due to elephant seals blocking the landing at one site. Instead, we took a cruise in the zodiacs along the shore to see macaroni penguins and later among the icebergs and ice floes which were stunning. There were a few landings that we weren't sure would happen, however, the captain always managed to find a way. In addition to a rare stop at Signy, in the South Orkneys (only 4 visits allowed per season), we were also fortunate to cross the Antarctic Polar Circle and were able to do a landing there as well. I was pleased with my cabin on the 3rd floor with a porthole. Since it was only myself, it was more than spacious and would have been fine for 2 persons (though another large suitcase may have been tough to store... I guess it would have fit under the bed). One of the beds could be made into a couch, so it was comfortable for using my laptop and watching TV. There was a desk, television and the shower had good water pressure and reliable hot water (I shower at night, so I can't speak for any peak showering times). The internet worked quite well throughout... with only a few times being spotty for short periods. I thought the landings were well timed, allowing enough time for some rest and lunch between the morning and afternoon landings. We were kept pretty busy, so there was no time for boredom. I also liked the Fram... I could certainly understand why there were so many repeat Hurtigruten passengers. I would definitely love to go on another cruise with Hurtigruten. In fact, I've already started looking for my next cruise! This was by far the best cruise I have ever taken and I would highly recommend Hurtigruten to anyone (and already have).

Hurtigruten Ultimate Antarctica Expedition with South Georgia and the Falklands

Fram Cruise Review by srl49ers

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Antarctica

srl49ers’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Fram price drops

As noted in my review... I was happy with my cabin on the 3rd floor with a porthole. Since it was only myself, it was more than spacious and would have been fine for 2 persons (though another large suitcase may have been tough to store... I guess it would have fit under the bed). One of the beds could be made into a couch, so it was comfortable for using my laptop and watching TV. There was a desk, television and the shower had good water pressure and reliable hot water (I shower at night, so I can't speak for any peak showering times). The internet worked quite well throughout... with only a few times being spotty.