Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Norweigan Getaway FEB 2020 Review

The booking experience was a nightmare (I booked directly thru Norweigan). I ended up talking with several different NCL consultants and hands down they were rude and several mis informed me. I should have stopped there. I thought we were getting a good deal and liked the options so i proceeded with booking two cabins (two people in each cabin). First of all, NCL booked us on flights departing the wrong day. I spent at least three hours on several phone calls to get our flights switched to the correct departing day. The return flight had us leaving 10 hours after the ship pulled in resulting in us arriving home after 1am. On the day of the return flight we were able to pay direct to Delta to change the flight. Second problem with booking: we specifically requested (and paid extra) to have rooms with adjoining balconies and doors together. Our rooms were next to each other, but not with doors next to each other; this is not a deal breaker but disappointing and demonstrates a lack of knowledge by the NCL “professional”. After getting on the ship, we learned the particular ship we booked does not even allow the partition between adjoining balconies to be opened. Again - this demonstrates a lack of knowledge from the NCL consultant or she was flat out lying to me.

The other major problem I had with the ship has to do with the smoke. The casino was mid ship Deck 7 and was open to the bars and restaurants on Decks 6 and 8. The smoke smell was strong enough that it made our throats hurt and eyes burn. Then when we left the ship, they had the line going thru the casino; this was absolutely terrible. By the time we got off the ship we had sore throats, red eyes, and headaches. I know they have to line up people to get off in a civilized manner but there has to be a better way than to make people do a slow death march thru the stale smokey area.

Now a few positive comments - the ship is beautiful and very clean. The service was excellent in most cases except in the adults only bar all the way aft where the servers were rude. We loved the hand washing stations (yes - actual sinks with soap!) by the restaurants and there was always someone there spraying everyone’s hands with sanitizer. After booking i was assigned a cruise consultant who was very helpful, but limited in what she could do. The food was excellent (even the buffet). The specialty dining places were excellent (a few had pushy wine stewards that would trick you into buying wine that was not included in the package so we quickly learned to ask the price of things before we ordered).

I have cruised on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruise lines and the overall experience on all of those lines was monumentally better than Norweigan. I contacted NCL before the cruise to voice my dissatisfaction and they did absolutely nothing to try to remedy the booking errors (even after they pulled up the recording and confirmed that the booking consultant provided us false information. I will never book NCL again!

LondonZordan's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom

Cabins were very small and had an unfavourable layout. Wasted space where there could have been a couple drawers. Plenty of hangars so that was nice. The bathroom was good with a good size shower for a cruise ship. The balcony was absurdly small. And we were told our balconies could be opened up but that is not even possible on this particular ship.

Harvest Caye

The tender experience was very disorganized and i was concerned for the elderly people. It took 90 minutes from the time to line up int he theater and then delayed with the actual boat ride. The private island was okay. The kayaking was a bit of a joke. You are in a little area with nothing to see.

LondonZordan