Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by mtab

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Promenade View Interior

We were a group of couples. The ship is very nice with lots for young people to do. We are experienced cruisers and our favorite is Princess as Royal Caribbean has too many children on board. But let me give you the good and bad, in my opinion.

We needed wheelchairs since having recent surgery. The wheelchair service was excellent but be sure to sign up. Don't worry about the time frame as they don't even check. It is a long walk from the terminal to the ship so don't be shy about asking for this service.

Check in was quick as we had done the phone app. We were questioned and checked for fever. The virus was just beginning but they did encourage clean hands.

We had a promenade room which was roomy with a window seat and sofa. If you want perfect quiet, this might not be good for you. It usually was quiet after midnite but it was fun to watch the goings on from our window. Our room steward was excellent. I tipped him when we first arrived, requested the duvet be removed and ice every day. No problem. I have come to love the "closets" on Princess as it's actually one big dressing room/closet combined with plenty of room for luggage, etc. That's why I wasn't fond of the closet but it was enough for 4 days. Our bed wasn't comfortable and I didn't bother asking for an eggcrate but wish I had. We had 2 very small nightstands with 1 drawer. Our room was always cold and it didn't seem to matter how far I moved the thermostat. I didn't bother to complain. For some reasons, the compass had an extra page which was mostly annoying and unnecessary. If you've cruised RCCL before, you know they don't include body lotion or hair conditioner.

Probably the thing that annoyed me the most was, if you ordered 2 appetizers, they both came at the same time. Service was like, let's get this done. And sometimes we didn't receive something and I don't know if that was because they didn't understand or couldn't be bothered. Service all around left alot to be desired. Incidentally, cranberry juice is an extra charge, pancakes are more like hockey pucks, no lobster on the shorter cruises. Other than that, the food was pretty good. Steak was excellent. We ate most of our meals in the dining room and they also had a buffet (which was faster sometimes). One day for lunch they had an incredible spread with a shrimp "fountain", an ice cream bar, a salad bar mixed by the help and tons of wonderful choices. Not to be missed. It was on our next to last day for lunch.

Formal night has been cancelled (their words). It is now, wear your best clothes.

The shows were what you expect on a cruise. This theatre is the first I've ever seen that always has seats. Maybe not together tho.

I just want to add, our ship went to CocoCay. It was phenomenal! Tons of seats available everywhere. Shuttles to go everywhere but distance between stops could be too much for some to walk. Pool was freezing. Families will love this but be prepared to pay.

mtab's Full Rating Summary

Promenade View Interior

see above

Perfect Day at CocoCay

shuttles, water park (pay), pool freezing but huge, lots of seating, excellent for families

Nassau

been here before. shopped a little and did Senor Frogs. lots of fun

mtab