3. Carnival Panorama
I have done the 7-day Mexican Riviera trips several times over the last 6 years through Carnival Miracle and Carnival Splendor. I was excited to learn a brand new ship was coming to the west coast and just knew that I needed to take a cruise on it. In fact, I scheduled two cruises. One for February 29 2020 and another on January 16 2021. On the February cruise, I got a category 4F inside cabin (7307). I was on the ship by 1PM. I parked my backpack at the back of the ship on deck 11 and got myself a Lobster Roll from the Seafood Shack. That was delicious. I will do that again. I started to explore everything about this ship. It is SO completely different than the other west coast ships Carnival had. (Imagination, Inspiration, Splendor, & Miracle) Panorama was not gaudy and loud like my previous Carnival ships. The Panorama was very pleasant to the senses. I didn't feel there was any over the top interior designs. I loved the clean sleek feel to the ship. I definitely loved all of the dining choices. I ate at the Fahrenheit 555 (the steakhouse), Guy's Pig and Anchor Smokehouse, Seafood Shack, Cucina del Capitano, Guy's Burger, BlueIguana Cantina, Pizzeria del Capitano, and the Dining Room. And there were still a lot of other choices for me as well. I participated in quite a few of the trivia games on the ship. Through the games I met fun people that I was able to join throughout the cruise. (I traveled solo on the trip.) The first port of call was for Cabo San Lucas. I got off the ship here to come in and have lunch at one of the local restaurants and to get some obligatory souvenirs for my office. Cabo is a great port. If you are new to this location be prepared for the onslaught of locals trying to pry money from you for their services or goods. If you are not interested just say No, Gracias and move on. They do expect you to haggle on the prices so, be bold and work a good deal. I was only in port for roughly 2 hours. I have been here many times, so there wasn't anything special for me to do this time. That night was Elegant Night, which means you have the opportunity to dress up a bit and come to dinner with everyone else dressed nicely. The next port of call was Mazatlan. You arrive at a commercial port. You can just walk off the ship, but you are confined to a small area where you will be transported from the commercial operations of the port and taken into the city. This is an interesting port. Mazatlan is a port in the Mexico state of Sinaloa. If you go into town, you must take care in where you travel. Stay in the tourist parts of town. Take the normal set of precautions you might take if you were traveling in a bad part of town. I have always had good luck there. The people you meet are friendly, and want to do business with you. There is a lot of very interesting things to see there. The cliff divers, the Gold Zone, the Malecon, the old church, the market and all of the bars and restaurants catering to tourists. Many times I take the Hop On Hop Off city tour bus. It costs about $35 US per adult and the entire circuit may take about 90 minutes to 120 minutes. This time I took the bus and never got off. (Again, I have been here 6 or 7 times already.) The next day we go to Puerto Vallarta. Many times in the past we would arrive mid morning and that would present you with an opportunity to see migrating whales or even a school of dolphins off the bow of the ship. This time we were in port by 7AM. This is my favorite location. There are so many wonderful things to do here with your family. My most favorite memories are from going to Las Caletas beach hideaway. You can snorkel or scuba dive there, they have lunch prepared for you when you arrive, There is an open bar. There are many paddle boards, or inner tubes to float on, You can have the kids visit the critters they have there. In 2018, I got to play with sea lions and stingrays but I don't know if they still do that at Las Caletas. They have just simple hammocks and lounge chairs if that is all you wanted to do. This year, I jumped into a cab across the street from the port and as I was figuring out what I wanted to do, a couple wanted to go to a fleamarket in town. The driver asked if I would share his cab and I said sure. I was already sitting up front, so the couple jumped into the back seat. We all made little chit chat while we drove to our destination. I noticed some irregularities in the driving and that is when I actually looked at the driver and saw that he was falling asleep when driving us to the flea market. At one point I had to wake him up to drive. Fortunately we were in bumper to bumper traffic so he was not going to do much damage. We all got out of the cab anyway. I did some shopping for clothing. Lesson learned. ALWAYS try on the clothes and be sure there are no stains on the clothes. I wound up on the ship with a shirt that technically should have fit but was way too small. So I am stuck with the shirt. The next two days were Sea Days. I did a lot of trivia games on the ship competing for the coveted Ship on a Stick. We got into Long Beach before 6AM on Saturday 3/7. I was already on Lido deck getting breakfast when I heard the siren of a firetruck and ambulance. I looked over the edge of the ship and saw both vehicles pulling all the way up next to the ship. This was around 6:15 but they didn't leave until almost 8AM. This was a bit odd, but I didn't think anything of it. The next odd thing was we weren't being called off the ship either. We were the ship that got stuck in Long Beach quarantined for 18 hours. An announcement was made finally around 9AM there was some sort of medical situation and tests needed to be conducted to see if the passenger had the coronavirus. 10AM there was another announcement but no additional news. 11AM, another announcement but this time they said they would open the Lido deck dining options for the convenience of the passengers. Around 11:30AM, they said we could go back to our staterooms if we wanted and that it take up to roughly 6 hours to get the coronavirus test results back. They made all of the movies on the TV in the room for free. They played a couple of movies at the DiveIn Movie screen by the swimming pool. The Fun Squad put together some entertainment and games for the passengers to play while we all waited for the results. The main dining rooms were opened for the passengers. During dinner the Captain announced they have not gotten word on the results yet. But they would keep us updated as time goes by. At about 10PM, the Captain announced the results came back negative and the passenger DID NOT have the coronavirus. The Captain offered for people that wished to debark right away, they would be able to. However, the Border Patrol people were not onsite and therefor no one was getting off the ship. Everyone got off the ship the very next morning, Sunday March 8 between 6:30AM and 11AM. Although it was a high stress situation, with people not knowing when they would be able to disembark, people had planes to catch, some people had family or friends in the parking lot to pick them up. But there were no riots, or crazy behaviour, pretty much everyone took it all in stride. In spite of everything, I would go back on this cruise again.

Very Nice Ship, Quarantine and all

Carnival Panorama Cruise Review by dmw3wx

• Sail Date: February 2020
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Interior

The next odd thing was we weren't being called off the ship either.

We were the ship that got stuck in Long Beach quarantined for 18 hours.

10AM there was another announcement but no additional news.

In spite of everything, I would go back on this cruise again.
dmw3wx’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Panorama price drops

Interior
Cabin 4F
Inside Stateroom. What is there to say? If you are only sleeping and changing clothes, this is all you need.

I had a "king" bed, but on this trip I could feel the gap between the two mattresses. This is my 10th cruise and I have to say I have NEVER felt the gap between the to single beds before. Not sure if there was a difference logistically in the construct of the king, but it was something I noticed when sleeping.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins